Relatives, Not What They Seem

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Ina I. Wonder, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you have any relative that are totally different from what their appearances leads one to believe? I do.

I have a niece that from the time she was little, she was always try to mother everyone. We all thought she would marry and have a big house and many children to fill it. But not so, she is everyone's favorites aunt, and she is godmother to many of the family's children. She is a beautiful young women. She has had several relationships through the years, and with some very nice young men. But so far no wedding bell are ringing, and now she is 47 years old, so I'm now understanding that it is her preference.

My grandson that makes it possible for me to remain in my family home is a mystery to me. He is only 27 years old as of this month, and he has no ambitions. He is a nice looking young man, but he has no desire to join society in any fashion. He spend his down time on his computer, or he plays video games all night. He only leaves our property when he does the weekly grocery shopping.

As far as working outside the home he has worked for three fast food places with a total of less than a year all together. Now he's not lazy, he works hard in our 2/3 of an acre, and keeping up the maintenance on this almost 150 year old log structure.

Then there is a nephew that I've always thought and felt like he had a heart of gold. He is one of the gentlest people I know. He is a loving husband and father, and he spends much of his time in working on charity issues. But he is one scary looking dude, and he is about 6'5". When I say big, his man defines it, This is him below.

There are more, but you get the idea. I think I remember that @Cody Fousnaugh or @Frank Sanoica said something about an odd brother-in-law.

IMG_4904.JPG IMG_4903.JPG

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Ina, I really don't think your nephew looks so scary. I would be more tuned into his body language if I encountered him in public.

I once went to a tattoo parlor (I have no tattoos but had four ear piercings done when I was younger) to get some of them reopened after they closed. This was years ago and I don't think I would do anything to them again. I was in my scrubs after work and have been told I look conservative. The guy doing the piercing had many facial piercings and tattoos. He was very friendly and stated "I'm not as scary as I look" I said "you don't look scary" He said "my wife was afraid of me the first time we met" anyway we chatted and found out we had a mutual acquaintance after he asked me where I worked since I was in my work clothes. .

Frank Sanoica and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Ina it is called diversity if we all had perfect families it would be pretty boring. If they all were perfect it would be hard to chose which one you liked the most. Some of the real geniuses in this world were pretty screw up when they were younger and did not fit in and probably that is the reason they think in new ways. I know it is hard not to judge but you might be looking at the next Einstein

Patsy Faye and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Its a shame he's not motivated though, he would feel so much better if he were
    If he were to help out with youngsters that have difficulties, this would give him fresh perspective
    I feel its such a waste
    As for relatives, I was the only one in my immediate family that was 'different'
    Sister and brother 'very' materialistic and selfish because of it
    My Mother, not maternal at all, the only child she recognised, was my sister, eventually they would party together.
    The only thing I took from her genes, was a hard work ethic.
    I hope I took after my Grandmother

Bill Boggs and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Just happened across this post. Families are a mystery. My youngest daughter and the oldest still stay away from each other
    much as possible. They live two different lifestyles and have never agreed on much of anything. The youngest one has called me many times
    asking" Mother, are you sure she was not adopted? Was she dropped on her head... was she even in the same house with us?"
    No, no ,yes.....Long ago, I realized when each one called to complain about the other, to just let them rant, and not repeat to the other what was said.
    Both have been through much tragedy in their lives, but have dealt with the issues very differently.
    My brother and I are also very different, but we agree to disagree and that works for us. My husband has three other siblings and oh my all four of them are nothing alike. Which, has always made me wonder why so much focus on say Christmas family gatherings. Within 15 minutes, most are ready to
    go home, as they do not want to deal with drama. Yes , we love them all - from a distance:p

Bill Boggs and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

We are all different in my family but it's not the type of differences any one of us ever argue about.

Once in awhile there is a hurt feeling but it's resolved and we never stopped loving the person...just an argument about something stupid usually.

My daughter and son are 5 years apart and as different as night and day but nothing wrong with that. Both turned out great.

My daughter's two boys are really opposites in everything..again 5 years apart. They don't even look like brothers.

Oldest one has brown hair and eyes and darker skin and the 13 year old is lily white with blues eyes and almost white blonde hair :)

They are very close though...Nicholas is going to miss his older brother when he leaves for College in September...very much.

I'm probably the black sheep because I don't have a PhD like my siblings or kids, nor do I have the finances that everyone else does but I'm probably the one that is most liked by all. :). I get that feeling.

I'm also the oldest now that my mom died last June. Next in age is my brother 65, then sister, 56 and baby sister 51!

Hmmm...I forgot the topic...just started writing, lol...sorry if it's off. :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder .. ..no offense intended here... he appears to almost want to look ...um scary or mean or whatever ...with regular hair color and styled
    and perhaps a trim here and there on his face, he would be even more attractive. :)

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.