Regional Food?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I know some foods are more common to certain areas but I've been surprised by some lately. I've seen advertised by a pancake place and also on some cooking shows a traditional southern breakfast... Chicken and Waffles. Now I've lived my whole life in the south and I've never had chicken and waffles. In fact I'd never heard of such a thing until the afore mentioned tv ads.

I have eaten waffles but pancakes are the norm around here, The meat served is always pork...., bacon, sausage, or ham.

Any of you folks from other parts of the southern US traditionally have chicken and waffles?

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Never heard of that combo before, either. My X wifey used to always make oatmeal pancakes, and my dad liked pancakes with apple slices in them, and potato pancakes. We always had bacon or sausage with ours.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I live in CT and ordered chicken and waffles at a restaurant up here. I should have asked for the syrup to be on the side as the dish was flooded with it. I thought it was typically a southern dish, too. :confused:

4. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I did some research at Wikipedia

Chicken and waffles refers to either of twoAmerican dishes - one from soul food, the otherPennsylvania Dutch - that combine chicken withwaffles. It is served in certain specialty restaurants in the United States.[1]

Soul food version[edit]
    The best known chicken and waffle pairing comes from the American soul food tradition and uses fried chicken. This version of the dish is highly popular in Baltimore, Maryland, enough to become a well-known local custom.[1]

Pennsylvania Dutch version[edit]
    The traditional Pennsylvania Dutch version consists of a plain waffle with pulled, stewed chicken on top, covered in gravy.[2] It is generally found in the Northeastern United States.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Was there syrup on the chicken, too, @Ruby Begonia ? I have never tried this combination; but I have also seen it advertised. The idea just does not mix well in my mind; but then, I do not even like eggs with pancakes and syrup, let alone chicken with waffles and syrup.
    I love fried chicken, and I really like waffles, too; but just not sure that I would like them together.
    I haven't seen it advertised here in Alabama until fairly recently, either, @Sheldon Scott .
    Maybe it is a "new" Southern tradition ?

6. Ruby Begonia

Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    Yes, syrup on the fried chicken (tenders) too! I prefer just butter on pancake & waffles also, but that day I thought some syrup on the waffles would be a nice change. Ugh, too much. I don't think we know how to do this dish up here. The Wiki article mentioned Maryland as the place for it.

I bet you and Bobby could develop a nice recipe for this dish!!

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am going to leave that one all up to @Bobby Cole , Ruby. He is the chef in this family, and I am the one who hates cooking. We do share the cooking, and whichever one of us feels like cooking something, cooks it, and we both will eat it.
    If neither one of us feels like cooking, we just snack, or wait it out until one of us is hungry enough to make something to eat.

8. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There is a recipe which I tried several years ago which included a touch of cane syrup in the egg wash for fried chicken. Put the chicken in the Seasoned flour first, then the egg wash, and then back into the seasoned flour and then fry.
    I think if I were to incorporate the waffle thing my diet would be super blown. At the most I'm not supposed to have even a half cup of rice on my off workout days much less even think about waffles and seasoned flour.

All that said, on some cold day when I am going to have a long workout, maybe I'll try the whole thing and see how it works out.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Like Yvonne I've never heard of chicken and waffles. I like waffles with butter and syrup and I like chicken tenders the most! I would have waffles and a side order of chicken tenders, but not with any gravy on the waffles. I love bacon and eggs with waffles too.

11. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not in the south, but chicken and waffles is very popular here in the northeast US, too! I don't have it much... actually it's been years :) but there are whole events planned around it like "Chicken and Waffle Dinner" events for fundraising. Also popular here would be Chicken and Dumplings... now that's more my style for both eating and cooking!

Speaking of foods from the south, I have to say that it wasn't until about 8 years ago that I discovered something while traveling in the southern US that has become a favorite in my household... Cole slaw on top of a BBQ sandwich. I'd had both separately my whole life, but my first taste of them together was from a BBQ buffet somewhere in North Carolina... sure wish I'd remember the name so I could stop again when I'm in the area. I ordered takeout and had the meal in a hotel room somewhere along I95. It was like "ummm, this is good!" Opened the roll and I said "Uh... is that slaw ON the bbq?!" And sure enough it was. I try to order one now every time I'm in the south. ;)

I need to keep a travel journal so I can remember where I come across things like that for next time!

12. Larry Stevenson

Larry Stevenson Veteran Member
    Registered

Exactly. I'm from the south as well, and I've never heard of chicken and waffles. Like you mentioned you can find a waffle if you look hard enough, but pancakes are much more popular. But I've never heard of chicken and pancakes either. I've actually never even heard of having chicken for breakfast, period. I guess you can if you want to, but It's not a traditional Southern breakfast by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  13. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with Larry. ... chicken and waffles is new to me too. Although in Texas, BBQ can be 24/7 ... lol
    Never had chicken for breakfast, but remember in days (years) gone by, eating cold left-over pizza from the fridge for breakfast. :p

Sheldon Scott and Ike Willis like this.
  14. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I visited OK about 12 years ago. There were Waffle restaurants. I don't remember seeing chicken and waffles there, but like I read at Wiki, it's a Maryland thing. Somehow, it took hold in the northeast.