Reentering the Job Market After Being Laid Off

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Marie Stine, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

The temp agency I applied to never sent me anywhere. I kept checking back and they kept telling me they had nothing I could do yet. I was 50 then. So, I applied for work at a place I knew that often hired temp people and got hired for a full time position at full starting wages. Later the temp agency called me about a temporary job they had for me. I told them I found my own full time job, thanks, but no thanks. When they asked me where I told them and the person on the phone said, "I knew we should have sent you there".

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It irritates me when the government and media talk about how the economy is doing better, when I know so many who are struggling to find jobs and make ends meet. I don't have much faith in large corporations to create jobs here in the U.S. I'm more a proponent of building up small businesses and giving them tax breaks, so they can create jobs and rebuild our country. In my experience, small businesses are less stringent with regard to hard and fast rules of hiring, and will work with potential employees, as long as they have the skills and experience needed for the positions.

Von Jones and Ike Willis like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The unemployment rates in the United States aren't getting better. They simply changed the definition of a full-time job to include what used to be considered a part-time job.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, they started years ago, counting 32+ hours as full time, which can't sustain a family, of course, and benefits have been cut back over the years, as well. I worked on a federal contract under two different contractors, doing the same exact job, but lost a good amount of my pay, and 3/4 of my benefits when the new contractor was awarded the job. It's hard to keep your head above water, let alone get ahead, under those circumstances. We really need someone in charge who is going to fight for the middle and lower class, and turn this country around.