"Reefer Madness"

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Richard Paradon, May 28, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Many of the early American movies provided propaganda that may or may not been very accurate. One of my favorites is "Reefer Madness" which shows what happens if you smoke this very "addictive" drug which often results in "Permanent Insanity!"

Believe it or not, it was even shown in my 1961 high school Health and Safety class! Even the teacher was grinning!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, they needed a way to scare the young ones away from drugs and bad behavior, so they resorted to all types of propaganda. Also, because back then, the Internet didn't exist, there were very few ways of checking whether what was shown to you at school or what you heard is true or is just propaganda. And frankly, the world was a better place back then.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was a very interesting video, @Richard Paradon , and although it is deftinitely out-dated, and highly over-dramatized; it certainly goes a long ways to see how the hemp scare in America came about.
    Interestingly enough, growing hemp was a main crop in the United States, right from the beginning. One of the first "marijuana laws" that we had in America was a requirement for every farmer to grow hemp as part of their crops. It was used for making rope, clothing, paper, and many other important articles.
    Our Declaration of Independance was written on hemp paper. Our very American flags were made of hemp, as well as the clothes that people wore, and it was much easier to grow than cotton is.
    George Washington was a major producer of hemp.

From what I have read, pot did not become a recreational drug until fairly recently, time wise; although it was used in medicinal remedies. It looks to me like the use of psychoactive pot was cutting into the profits of big drugs, like heroin and morphine, and probably also affecting liquor sales; so they would have all been on the lookout for a way to criminalize the growing and use of hemp products.
    Apparently, even growing hemp that does not get people high is just as illegal as growing the stuff that does do that. This doesn't really make much sense to me, since it could be used for so many useful products, as well as for the medicinal use of cannabis.
    In many states, it still grows wild, left over from when hemp was grown everywhere as an industrial crop. It goes by the name of "ditchweed", and although you will only get a headache (and not get high) from smoking it, it is still just as illegal as the high THC varieties are if you are found to be growing it.

http://cannabisnowmagazine.com/cannabis/in-history/history-of-marijuana-in-america

4. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

And just look at what followed the original:

Reefer Madness (musical), a 1998 musical satire of the 1936 film, or the title song
    Reefer Madness (2005 film), a television film version of the musical
    "Reefer Madness" (That '70s Show), an episode of That '70s Show
    Reefer Madness (1979 book), a book by Larry "Ratso" Sloman
    Reefer Madness (2003 book), a book by Eric Schlosser
    "Reefer Madness", a song by Hawkwind from Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music
    "Reefer Madness", a song by Screaming Jets from The Screaming Jets
    "Reefer Madness", a song by UB40 from Signing Off

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

1910 Anti-Drug poster by the Inter-state Narcotic Association:

[​IMG]

6. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I wonder if they ever realized that while trying to make an anti-drug film, they made the perfect movie for sitting around with your friends getting stoned/