Red Wine Anyone?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ina I. Wonder, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope was Yvonne's smoothies... .. :D

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

So how old are you, friend Frank? I might just be older than you or Lon?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Registered

I drinks a little wine with me dinner once in a while and yes, I prefer the red.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs
    Seventy-five, and that's the truth!
    Frank

6. Bill Boggs

Registered

I have no reason to doubt you. The 26th of October I will be 84 years and six months old. I'm sure it shows now and then.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin and @Gloria Mitchell, I know it’s been a bit since I posted on this subject, but I needed to try some of the ‘dang’ stuff first. I had to rely on my grandson Bobert to help me get started. He doesn’t drink as most young people do, but it seems he does enjoy it bit of red wine.

I knew that I wouldn’t enjoy the syrupy ones that seem to be popular with him and most of the younger generation. But, now I also know that i can’t drink the bitter ones. The one 4 oz glass I tried of that kind gave me indigestion for two days.

I’m not sure where I got the idea that @Chrissy Cross and @Bill Boggs might be well informed on this subject, but if I’m right, I would greatly appreciate any information they might be able to impart.

Here are the three I’ve tried so far.

The first one was a bit on the sweet side and it was ok as far as I tell.
    746054E0-A9BE-43D1-88BA-49F47F100B6E.jpeg

The second one was very bad for me. It gave me indigestion for two days. So it is a definite no no for me. B5444F46-ED17-4FBD-9F9D-82794B3918E2.jpeg

This is the one I’m currently trying, and it is not as sweet as the first one, but I think it is my favorite so far. With these three to give a baseline, do any of you have any suggestions.
    3D3137F0-69BC-47FF-93B2-04E37D39B3F5.jpeg

8. Bill Boggs

Registered

I always preferred a Pinot noir. In a good year it couldn't be beat, most any brand. I always bought the cheapest I could find. In a bad year better than a lot of other reds. I almost got lock jaw once trying to find a pretty good Italian wine. When I was in Italy I drank wine every day and never had anything but a superior wine. All the reds I drank there were labeled 'table wine'. They jokingly said they export all their bad wine. Most Spanish wines I've bought or drank have been good. When you find a wine make a note of what is is and whose. Unless you've spent a lot of time studying wines, buy and try is a hit and miss, particularly if you're foe an affordable wine. A good wine this year may not be so next year. A bad wine last year may be good this year. Reccomendations from friends can help, but finding a good affordable red is still a hit and miss.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs, it looks like I’m going to find drinking a good red wine is going to be a hit or miss mess for me. The last bottle I presented seems to be a good one for me. It is neither sweet nor bitter. I was really surprised that it has a bit of a fizzy head to it.

Maybe @Terry Page has acquired some knowledge of wines through all his traveling. As a person that has travel the world he must have learned much on the subject.

If I’m going to have to make wine a part of my daily evening routine, I might as well gain as much information as I can.

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm no expert on wine at all @Ina I. Wonder ...I don't drink. When I did I preferred white wine.

My son in law is an expert though ....they have three wine fridges but those bottles aren't cheap.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder .... yes it is a journey trying to find a wine fit for yourself. I would suggest going to a wine tasting festival .
    One of favorites for years is Ilano wines made from our state Texas.The red wine, is delicious but also very sweet. I loved it way back
    when it was just $2.97 bottle. Now you pay at least $7$8. I had stop drinking red wines on a regular basis, if affects me like grapes in whole.. i call it bathroom medicine:). So, now when i drink wine now usually a pink blush IIano also has this...or mainly Moscato. Not quite as sweet. The other day
    I bought a little 4 pack of Charronday ...um do not really like that one.
    A good white wine is nice...Woodridge or Rockport. Everyones tastes are different, so becomes an experiment . Also have been known to add a few
    splashes of wine to stews, gravies, and etc. the alcohol dissipates during cooking, but still adds flavor. Check out any local wineries in your area
    the tasting is free :p.

Ina I. Wonder and Frank Sanoica like this.