Recommendations For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (cfs)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jayce Gray, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband had a sleep study and he didn't get a CPAP, either. I can't even remember why he had the sleep study; he can fall asleep anywhere, anytime.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How immersed are you in the [negative] news? These days can be full of stress and negativity unlike any times those of us who are above ground have ever seen. It is draining if not managed properly (or if not outright ignored.)

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Excellent , @John Brunner ! Listening to news and being stressed is not conducive to sleeping peacefully. Even watching an action-packed movie or TV show is not good, because it increases adrenaline , even though we know we are only watching a movie, our body can react by being stressed out from the movie.
    I usually read in the evenings; but when Bobby says it is time to take melatonin (about a half hour before bedtime), then I try to switch to a study kind of book/youtube video (like on fermenting, or container gardening) , or I just knit for that last half hour, and that way my mind slows down and thinks about things that will help me fall asleep.

What a person eats and when seems to make a difference as well, at least from what I have read, and it does for me. Some foods can make you sleepy and some give you energy, and I have found that going to bed midway between full and hungry with a light dinner (fairly early) works best for me.
    If I am hungry, then I will have a light bedtime snack, like an apple, or just a cup of light tea. I almost always have hot tea before bedtime.

4. John Brunner

Not only that, but being angry and stressed really saps my energy.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have not slept entir 8 hours since 2017. `In part the meds I am on. One bring Lasix, the lets rake a wiiz med. Then age, then the time change never helps. I get on a schedule, then something changes it and up again all hours. I have no problem going to sleep, even after 3-4 bathroom trips. But I can tseem to sleep nore than 4 or 5 hours. However I will fall asleep watching tv for a little while. So madding . Just more OPD for
    But I am never tired when I wake up. Ready to go.

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

A friend that I met at a FM/CFS support group here in So Cal has struggled and managed her life of CFS (Malaise), if she overdoes or goes a little too much, she can be down for a couple days. Her big last "find" is taking extra potassium thru her days and she's been known to take 700mg at one time and she often does 200mg caps or tablets 4 or 5 times a day....Potassium deficiency is BIG in our world..... Also eat more potassium rich foods. A larger avacodo can give us 800mg of potassium or so. I also take extra potassium caps/tabs daily, get your potassium labs done, you porobably come in at the LOW end of t he range.

I don't have CFS but I deal with arthritic pain and that is exhausting.

I worked up a sleep combo back in 1999 and it gives me 8-11 hrs of sleep nightly.

Check a search of Fatigue and Potassium....

Jayce Gray and Von Jones like this.
  7. Joy Martin

Registered

That's a given, if you are aware why NOT control yourself????

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

Well.

I've long realized that stress is a reaction. There are times I'm better at controlling it than others.

9. Joy Martin

Registered

well maybe you get enough night sleep. take naps during the day....I snooze during the day and I get good night's sleeps...

Von Jones and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  10. Joy Martin

Registered

Of course it's a reaction, but we create so much unimportant stress....Chill...

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Watching a good comedy show on TV in the evening is a good way to put your mind in a happy place before going to bed. For me lately it's been reruns of News Radio.

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes I watch videos that make me laugh before I go to sleep and I end up waking up laughing from what I watched because it was so funny. Then I'm up for another 2-3 hours. o_O

Ed Wilson likes this.
  13. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I wish I could laugh more easily. I apparently have a bizarre sense of humor and very little strikes me as funny. My wife laughs easily and has a great laugh, so there is that.

Von Jones likes this.
  14. John Brunner

Are you a Far Side/Month Python fan?

15. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do at least find them entertaining. Most so called comedies, I just turn off because they strike me as stupid or, more commonly, just plain boring. Other forums I’m on, people post up little videos of things they say made them laugh til their sides hurt. For me, It’s like watching paint dry. Probably the thing I tend to get a chuckle out of the most are the antics of people’s companion animals, including our own.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.