Really Down, May Have To Give Up My Truck

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Denise Evans, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have mandatory safety inspections every year here in Maine, but they are conducted by garages that are licensed to do so, so there are sharp differences in how closely they look. I've been some places where I could probably bring a new car in to them and they'd find something wrong, but others aren't very picky. Some of these places use the inspection as a way to sell repairs that you wouldn't need otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Denise Evans likes this.
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

If there was a way, I would move back to Oregon. I just saw "another" slip of paper indicating I have to have a "weight" certificate, whatever in the world that is. I haven't looked up the cost of that. I see why "smart" people look before they leap into another State, all States are not equal in the US.

No, I don't smoke pot, but I'm seriously considering it:confused:

No surprise to me now that so many Californians have moved to Oregon, geez!!

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that you should not neeed a weight certificate with such a little truck, @Denise Happyfeet . We had to have that out in Washington; but it was mainly for larger "farm-truck" types that were carrying heavy loads all of the time. Where you just use your truck as your personal vehicle, and not for hauling things , there is not much likelihood of you overloading it.
    As far as I remember , the purpose of the weight certificate is just to give you a legal limit of what is considered a safe amount of weight for you to be hauling.
    All you should have to do is verify that you only use it as your personal vehicle and not for hauling things. (Personal items would not be counted in this, only if you were using the truck specifically for hauling purposes, like a farm truck would be used. )

4. Denise Evans

Registered

Well, they do require one Yvonne. And I've decided they'll have to use the jaws-of-life to separate me from my vehicle/independence. So I pay, and I pay, and I'll keep paying the price for that here in CA. I do plan to move back to Oregon, but with all the cost-of-living here, it may be awhile. Then again, I seem to have a guardian-angel so maybe it won't be quite as long as I think;)

5. Denise Evans

Registered

right and I went shopping for some decor the other day!! You likey?? You know I'm so into lighting too!

[​IMG]

6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Veteran Member
    Registered

Denise according to Cost of living indexes, CA is the 6th most expensive state in the US, Oregon isn't even in the top 10.

7. Denise Evans

Registered

The number jive with my first-hand experience, lol!

8. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

In Calif all pick ups are called commercial trucks so you do have to get it weighed. It's only $5 or even free some places but it's often a hassle to find a place to get it done. My brother just had to haul a 67 Ranchero (those things have look half car and half pick up) on a car trailer down and then take it off and get it weighed and put it back on the trailer. It doesn't run yet but he wants to register it so he had to get it weighed. California can make things pretty hard on people and bringing one in from out of state is even worse. :(