Real Conspiracies: How The Elderly Lose Their Rights

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The New Yorker published a very long but fascinating story of elder abuse by private legal guardians in Nevada, people who have made a lucrative business out of having themselves named as guardians of the estates of wealthy elderly people, thus gaining full control over their assets and expenses. It's long but well worth the time that it takes to read it. I am placing it here because it does speak of a conspiracy, although not one for which the truth can be easily disputed.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Having once had great respect for Nevada, becoming a resident in 1972, I realize that times have changed, but still must wonder whether such practice be limited, in some way, to Nevada. Frank

3. Ken Anderson

I'm fairly certain it isn't limited to Nevada. That particular story dealt with the problem in Nevada but I suspect that, or something similar, is going on elsewhere. I don't usually watch live television, except from hotel rooms while we're traveling, but an ad aired in Massachusetts for franchises of something that sounded very much like that. Of course, it was phrased in the language of actually helping these people but, of course, the ones in this story sold their scam in such a way, also.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't believe what I've just read on another forum... It reads like an absolute horror story

You hear of elder abuse within families and within care homes often ... but elder abuse and stripped of your rights as an independent senior on behalf of the ''federal courts''?

Maybe not......

.....but read this.... piece on the most shocking story of elder abuse I've ever read...

Get a cuppa tea because it's long but every senior NEEDS to read this...it could happen to you...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights

Ted Richards likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

I posted it here a few days ago but you're right, it is shocking and anyone with anything to steal should read it.

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

Sorry ken, I rarely read the conspiracy thread... I always think it's about fake stories ...so I missed your post.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders .....this is the worst I have ever heard ! It makes me mad as hell and I want to friggen slap someone:mad:.
    Whew just had to say that.
    This story is one reason why I wonder ...what is the point in saving for years...just so our hard earned money is given or taken away in the end?
    You cant get assistance per sae.. when entering a 'home'... You have to appear destitute.
    I could rant for hours on this, but clearly something should be done to insure elder people have a say in their lives! :mad:

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

No need to apologize. I don't expect anyone to read everything there is in the forum. I don't, and I'm in charge of it. Not all conspiracies are fake.

Holly Saunders and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Registered

I'm totally with you on this one Gloria... that was my reaction too... and when I saw the video with that vile piece of humanity I would have given anything to go and knock her right off her chair... god alone knows how the couple's daughter didn't beat the living cack out of her before she even got to court...

of course that's not the answer I know but jeez if it had been my family it had happened to, I wouldn't be able to help myself..

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope she goes to prison with a whole bunch of horny lesbians. And maybe a few horny prison guards.

There are other people who are as guilty as she is. They should go to prison, too.

First the doctors who signed the papers

Last March, Parks and her lawyer, along with her office manager and her husband, were indicted for perjury and theft, among other charges. The indictment was narrowly focussed on their double billings and their sloppy accounting, but, in a detailed summary of the investigation, Jaclyn O’Malley, who led the probe for the Nevada Attorney General’s Office, made passing references to the “collusion of hospital social workers and medical staff” who profited from their connection to Parks. At Parks’s grand-jury trial, her assistant testified that she and Parks went to hospitals and attorneys’ offices for the purpose of “building relationships to generate more client leads.” Parks secured a contract with six medical facilities whose staff agreed to refer patients to her—an arrangement that benefitted the facilities, since Parks controlled the decisions of a large pool of their potential consumers. Parks often gave doctors blank certificates and told them exactly what to write in order for their patients to become her wards.

Then: Jon Norheim
    Jared Shafer; maybe the biggest crook of all.

If I were a relative of the victims, I would sue the hospitals, the county, the police department as well as the perpetrators.

Ted Richards and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Horrible and insane!

13. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't read it all word for word. Very long but I got it I think. It is very scary. When my mother was in the hospital I had someone, a nurse maybe, tell me my mother and step father added up to "one person" My mother was weak and had cognitive difficulties due to a stroke. My step father is completely hearing impaired but in very good physical health. No dementia. It's amazing how people can make these assumptions.

Working in long term care I have had patients with no family and they were their own responsible party. Until they no longer could be due to declining health. This can get a bit dicey. What I also don't understand about the article is don't they have to go though any relatives first before the county conservatorship steps in? I don't get that.

I also worked where a daughter of a female patient was trying to get her father's capacity taken away because he was giving all his money to scammers. And she couldn't. She said he passed every test. He even signed his wife's decisions to that daughter, he was too busy with his scammer friends. True story.

I have dealt with these conservators. They are often very hard to get hold of, you rarely see them and the last one I dealt with in person was patronizing.

14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

http://www.guardianship.org/reports/Guardianship_of_the_Elderly.pdf

Unfortunately laws that were meant to help those elderly people who could no longer help themselves....ended up instead giving power to "legally" abuse and take advantage of the elderly to just about anyone. If you have managed to accumulate wealth and alot of material possessions you are more likely to be targeted for this kind of abuse.

I have often read about adult children taking advantage of their elderly parents and part of the guardianship laws were put into effect to protect the elderly from this kind of situation. Yet these laws now allow perfect strangers to legally take over an elderly person's whole life and make all decisions for that person whether it be financial, medical, or personal, etc.

From what I am reading there are guardianship laws in every state and in many other Countries too and what happened to the couple in the article @Ken Anderson and @Holly Saunders shared is becoming a wide spread epidemic among the wealthy elderly who live alone and whose family members usually do not live nearby. There is no real monitoring of a guardian...even though the laws in effect say there should be monitoring. States also have different standards of how often guardians should have to give an accounting of what they have been doing for their "wards" and even different standards of how quickly they can become legal guardians, etc.

It is clear from those who are coming forth with horror stories that they or someone they love has endured in the hands of a "legal guardian"...that the guardianship laws in place now...are not helping the elderly but hurting them terribly. These laws need to go and the guardians and everyone else involved who are doing these terrible things to the elderly need to be prosecuted, and made to make restitution to those they have ripped off. There is not just one person doing the ripping off here....there are many people involved from the Doctor's that sign papers saying the elderly person is incompetent, the Judge assigning guardianship to a person who has little or no training to take on such a task, owners of assisted living facilities, etc. If everyone involved had to make restitution for what they helped do to the elderly...it would not only give the ripped off person much of their money back....but also expose the criminal actions of all those involved so this could be stopped from going any further.

There definitely is a conspiracy to rip off the elderly here...and it needs to be stopped.

15. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator
    Staff Member Greeter Registered

I merged a couple of threads on the same topic here.