Random Appreciation Awards

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Admin, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, for the rest of this year at least, the list will simply be narrowed when ineligible members are removed. Next year, I will probably fine-tune it some but for the first two months, I thought I'd reward those who have contributed the most, as far as posts. Later, I'll probably have some where every active member has a chance to win, and maybe some that include those with the "most likes" or the "most points." I can't fine-tune it so much that it takes me too long to do it though, which might be the case if I were to look at the type of posts that members have made.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Yes, @Chrissy Page , if you look at the list, you can see that it is starting with the most posts. I think that just disqualifying himself from the drawing is not going to change how the list looks. The only thing that would actually change the list is of the names of those people were gone, and without removing them from the forum, that is not going to happen.
    We are always hopeful that some our lost members will come back; so we do not want them gone off the list just in case they do come back again. We were just talking about @Lara Moss the other day and wondering how her mother is doing, and if she would be coming back.
    The Notable Members shows by messages, and then also by the most likes (you are number one on that list, Chrissy); and since the likes list is actually happening with people who write posts and not just ones who play games, that list is very different from the first list.
    Ken didn't specify whether he was using the list of most posts or the list of most likes to include in the drawing; so until he decides that, we do not know who is eligible .

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Anyway, it's a good way to get people posting and it's fun so a great idea!

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yay, I love contests and sweepstakes. This is a cool thing for your to do, @Ken Anderson, and it would be a boon if it gave people the incentive to post more. I wasn't aware of the Notable category, but I see that I'm on it, which is really nice :).

Maybe those who've stepped away from the forum will come back for the holidays and decide to stick around.

Kate Ellery and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Louise Williams

Louise Williams Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne, If you were any kind of a gamer and played games , you would know that we do have a Game Chat there and most of us post on there everyday ! and its not just one word games there either,, and I have on occasion come and posted on other forums here too ,its just that I am not a consistent poster...There are a lot of gamers here that post daily on the other forums that are offered here....

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Tomorrow is the second Monday.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Exciting.....

8. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator
    Staff Member Greeter Registered

The drawing will be today. The list of sixteen eligible members is locked in for this drawing. I will be using a random numbers application to choose the winner of the first $25 gift card. The app will select a random number from one to sixteen, and the member who corresponds to that number will be the winner. Of the twenty "Notable Members," as listed by the forum, three have had no activity in the forum within the past thirty days, so they are ineligible for this drawing, and I am removing myself from consideration. This leaves the following sixteen members:
    1. Holly Saunders
    2. Louise Williams
    3. Steve North
    4. Chrissy Page
    5. Kate Ellery
    6. Joe Riley
    7. Diane Lane
    8. Shirley Martin
    9. Yvonne Smith
    10. Ruby Begonia
    11. Corie Henson
    12. Patsy Faye
    13. Paul Sparky
    14. Ike Willis
    15. Frank Sanoica
    16. Sheldon Scott
    Since this is the first month that I am doing this, I don't know how smoothly it will go. I will be using a screen capture app that is supposed to record a video of my computer screen, which should show the winner selection process, in the event that anyone might have reason to doubt the randomness of it. I looked for a Mac app that would have a little more flash to it, like a lottery ball rolling down a chute, or the roll of a dice, but I haven't found anything that would do that and still be configurable, so as to allow me to choose only one number. The lottery-type apps insist on more than one number, and the dice apps are restricted to six.

This won't be as flashy, but it should work. I haven't used the screen capture app yet though, so I can't guarantee that it will do what I want it to do, and you might just have to trust me to be honest this time around. I know that the random number app is going to work, but I don't know whether the screen capture app is going to be able to capture it correctly, and if I had to do it more than once in order to get the movie to show correctly, that wouldn't be fair to the original winner.

I have used Amazon.com gift cards many times before but, as I haven't bought a gift card from Amazon.com for anyone before, I am not one hundred percent sure how it will work. Some of you may not have an Amazon.com account or may otherwise be unable to use an Amazon.com gift card, perhaps before Amazon.com doesn't deliver to your place or country of residence. I think that you will be able re-gift it to someone else, since I don't think that the gift card is tied in to anyone's specific Amazon.com account. I am fairly certain that you will be able to do that, but I won't know for sure until it comes up.

I will be looking into other alternatives but the Amazon.com gift card is the only thing that will be available for this drawing. Some of the others that I've looked at require a fee on top of the amount of the gift, and I am not willing to pay more than what I am gifting.

In January, we'll be changing the drawings up some, as far as eligibility goes, so that various types of members can be eligible for the drawings. Using just the "Notable Members" list gives an advantage to the forum gamers. That's fine for now, as they are contributing to the forum too, but I also want to be able to reach out to those who are contributing to forum discussions. But there will be more on that as we get closer to 2017.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

We trust you Ken, I'm not concerned about seeing the process or whatever if it's a hassle for you.

Also, I have bought Amazon e gift cards for grandsons, it's easy...just follow the steps. Of course I sent it to their dads email addy since they don't have one.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Stay tuned, a winner will be announced soon.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Admin

12. Admin

You can't really see anything on the small screen, although you can on full screen. I'll fine-tune the display stuff as I learn to use the screen capture tool better. Congratulations, @Ruby Begonia. I will be trying to contact you. Since you haven't posted here since September 26th, I don't know if you'll get this through the forum alone, but if the email you used to establish your account is up-to-date, I'll contact you there. I will need to have a working email in order to send your electronic gift card for $25 from Amazon.com.

The next drawing will be on October 24th.

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I sent her an email and a pm, she'll see one or the other soon I hope.

She was number 10 and she won on 10-10-16....cool!

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I got your messages Chrissy. I certainly did not expect this. Ken, I will be messaging you, thanks.