Raised Bed For Flowers

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sandy Wood, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

raised bed.jpeg I am starting a new project outside next to my garage. This area has been over-run with English Ivy for years. I have decided to claim back some of that space for flower beds and planting a few blueberry bushes and a small garden area. The first part was pulling out vines and digging up ferns.
    Then I found some old boards and pieces of pipe to hold the boards in place. I need to get more top soil and then plan to plant yellow and orange daylilies and blue iris in the back corner section. I found some good soil at our local brush dump off site. And look I have a picture.

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm, that looks good for a planter box. At least there is a boundary of sorts so your planter box would look decent enough to be respected (some people just don't care to step on the grass or on plants that they think are just weeds). And I agree that you add more topsoil and better if the top soil is a mixture of loam and clay. But I have no suggestion with the type of plant because I am not good with flowering plants. If that planter box is here, I'm sure we would be planting ginger for decoration... and kitchen ingredient as well.

3. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

I had planned on filling it full of daylilies, however due to the slope and bright sunlight I decided to use it for garden plants next year. My lower garden area is rapidly beginning taken over by tree roots although, my crop of peas and green beans and beets are thriving this year. Two plants that love lots of water and sun are eggplant and zucchini squash. So I am going to add lots of top soil and manure to this spot and hold it over for garden next summer.
    Another reason for the change is due to the fact I am still fighting with fern roots and English ivy plants for this spot. Both are stubborn in giving up land they want.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Ahh so nice to have a green thumb and your veggie garden sounds delicious! We live in an apt. and our back yard is filled with aloe in pots, a rubber plant my Uncle gave us that's a bonsai now, a pot of ferns which we use at New Years and pots of broad leaf plantain herb. I have a red ti leaf for protection and good luck potted of course. Your garden sounds so nice and yummy! Good luck with your flower garden which will make your home just perfect!

Sandy Wood likes this.