Rainbows At Sunset

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Faye Fox, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

In all my 71 years, this is the most spectacular sunset sky I have ever seen. One major well-defined rainbow is visible from end to end with a horizontal white, blue, and red band wrapping all around the sky from the Northeast side of the rainbow to the Southeast side of the rainbow.

I was headed to bed when I saw the orange glow in the western sky and then looking out the north window I saw the rainbow. Donned in nothing but night shorts and a thin night crop top, I grabbed my Canon camera, and out the door, I went. I could see the best photos would be to get in my car and rush to the hayfield at the top of the hill, but the rapidly changing sky might not allow time for such, so I stood in my front yard barefoot in the cold moderate rain not caring that I was getting soaked. The best I could do with all the trees was to get bits and pieces of the amazing 360-degree sky above the horizon.

Looking NE
    Rainbow n.jpg

Looking SE at the other end
    rainbow s.jpg

Up close NE

rainbow n close.jpg

This band covered about 120 degrees of the horizon from rainbow to sunset on both north and south sides but was mostly covered by trees and buildings. I had to stand out in the street, wet nighty crop top and all to get this shot which will no doubt damage my saintly neighborhood reputation, but us paparazzi types are willing to sacrifice our personal reputations to document the events as they unfold. I was so moved by God's patriotic display, I wanted to hold my hand over my heart and sing the Star Spangled Banner, but I had an important mission to fulfill.
    band.jpg

Looking west at the sunset you can see an interesting arch over the tree to the left
    and also the white red blue band at the horizon at the far right
    Rainbow sunset.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Beautiful! Two of my favorite things, rainbows and sunsets...... can't beat that.

Faye Fox likes this.