Rain Rain Go Away

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ina I. Wonder, May 28, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Well friends, I decided to take a break, and check in on y'all. Has all this rainy weather effected anyone other than me?

First, my water well went out on me last Friday, and I had to get it fixed on the Sunday before Memorial Day. (I had a wheelbarrow and two large wash tubs outside for accumulation of rain water, and this allowed for flushing the toilet.)

Then it began to rain, and then some more. Houston got 5" to over 11" of heavy rainfall overnight, and the next night was almost as bad. I haven't gotten any water in my house, yet. But my neighbors have, and then one of the girls and my granddaughter have both been flooded out of their homes. I've had a few house quests for the last few days. (Well don't fail me now.)

So I've been pretty busy trying to help out. There are always small children that need a constant eye kept on them. There has to be at least another week before everyone is settled again. I will do my best to pop in when I get a break, and if I'm too tired, at least reading y'all posts before bed on my iPad will be an enjoyable night cap.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't remember ever having so much rain. I've had up to 2 feet of water rushing through my shop building 3 times. Two large oak trees have up rooted. One fell with the top half in the lake and one is lying across the creek. Water covered our fishing dock and turned over a large trash can that held fish food. The lawn and fields have been too wet to mow and the corn and peas are treading water.

On the bright side we haven't had it nearly as bad as lots of folks have. Our house is high and dry and our raised beds are doing great.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

The rain in Texas is unbelievable Ina. Reported last night that 21 people have lost their lives due to floods and such. Please stay safe everyone.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have also had an unusual amount of rain here in Alabama, and although it has not affected us directly; there are some places that are having a lot of flooding, and some of it has been pretty deep. We are actually on a little rise here, and not in an area where flooding usually occurs ; so most of what we get just runs off. The yard slopes downhill all around the house.
    I think that most of the worst storms either went north or south of Huntsville, so we have not had as much downpour as most places.

We definitely have an increase in frog activity in the back yard !
    They are happily singing in the Frog Choir out there every night (and all night, I think). We haven't filled up the little backyard swimming pool yet, but there is just enough water in the bottom from the rains for the frogs to congregate and frolic in.
    I listen to them, and have been wondering if @Ina I. Wonder has been getting frogs in her little water garden, or if they are just all over now that the whole property is one huge Frog Garden ? ?

5. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I live north of Alabama and we are talking about how much we NEED rain! It's like there isn't enough to go around. LOL I am sad to hear that people are dying because of floods. I am praying for people in Texas. Yvonne, I would love to hear a harmonious frog choir in my yard .We never seem to have enough water, unless we live on the lake.

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

You guyrs are getting all the rain, I saw pictures of some of the flooding and how some people had to be rescured from their roof tops. We have been told by the weather man for a few days now that we were going to get some rain but so far nothing. Hope everyone is safe out there in the flooding areas.

7. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

We got hammered last night with wind driven rain and lots of lightning. Kicked off a couple of relays and I lost wifi and TV. Got my wifi back but no tv yet. I think water might have gotten into one of my outside outlets. If it ever stops raining, I'll check it out.

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

United, we stand!;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

We've had the brightest weather ever here in Romania this weekend, which made for a fantastic mood all throughout my region. It seems to me that we've started the summer perfectly! I really hope that we don't get to see rain this week, I'm just not in the mood for it.

10. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Where I live it has been raining cats and dogs, but rain runs downhill turning the main avenues into wild rivers, which is relatively good when one is at home because no flooding here even if the sewers along the way get flooded.

If this happens, sewers begin to "spit" the water out much in the way the water fountain in the park does, and therefore rain keeps running all the way down until reach an important expressway, which is in plain terrain, and therefore forming an immense lagoon.

When at home, looking out the windows is sometimes enjoyable seeing how rain makes rivers, but if happens that you are at the "lagoon" side, it's not funny having to cross it, kind of "extreme" sport if tried by walking, kind of having to take the car to the repair service if trying by driving across the water.