Racist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Martin Alonzo, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    So what you mean is, "they" up there work at keeping things status quo: they like things the way they are, and would resist an effort to introduce something like interracial marriage into their existing culture?
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    THIS is happening in Maine?? Who could have guessed? Personally, I would have no malice toward immigrants of any kind, but wouldn't one think they would tend to congregate in areas already similar to that which they emmigrated from? For example, wouldn't promoters of such immigration try to get them settled in areas already become similar, black for example?
    Frank

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A former mayor of Lewiston invited Somalians to come here, much as several cities are inviting Muslim immigrants to come to their cities, legal or illegal. The idea, I think, was to fill some of the empty buildings in Lewiston and to score some political correctness points that Southern Mainers trade in. A few years later, he begged Catholic Services not to send any more Somalians to Lewiston because the welfare system was overrun and the school system wasn't able to deal with so many people who didn't speak English. Rather than doing so, someone at Catholic Service leaked the letter to the press and the mayor, who had invited them to begin with, was made out to be a racist who didn't want Somalians in Lewiston. He was drummed out of office, and the problem has been getting worse. I am told that a lot of the Somalians who were born here aren't speaking English and more of them keep coming. A year ago, Catholic Services and one of the colleges were sponsoring a tour of Maine's northernmost county, Aroostook County, for more Somalians who they were hoping to move to Northern Maine. So far, I haven't heard of anything happening on that, and I hope not to. I don't even want people from Massachusetts to move to Northern Maine.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    "I don't even want people from Massachusetts to move to Northern Maine."

And rightly so; they may very well be Somalians!

5. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Different can be good, different can be fun. My daughter grew up in an almost 100% white community in a regional, semi rural area and now lives in the city in an area that has a predominantly Jamaican population. She absolutely loves soaking up a different culture regarding food, music etc She said it's like being on holidays. She's getting pretty good at the accent as well.

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

That's how I feel too !

Nancy Hart and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I will say this AGAIN……..not everyone in the U.S. likes living somewhere where there is a lot of diversity and/or multiple races. When we lived in Parker, CO, the majority of the population was white, with a small percentage of Hispanic. That was totally fine with us, but there were those that I worked with in Denver that didn't like that, as they called it, "predominately" white population.

Basically, I've gotten tired of defending what many in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, the Dakota's, Nebraska and Kansas like. Not liking a lot of diversity SHOULD be fine as well as not liking some interracial marriages. Note, I did say "some".

A lot, to most, of you wouldn't live in an area that is predominately white, like we are looking, which is 97% white and little-to-no interracial marriages/relationships seen. But, that is you. We are different and that sure doesn't make us bad. Just take a look at the area Ken lives in.

8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

If a Horse displayed Racism toward a Zebra, would he be a Race Horse?

Hal:p

Bobby Cole and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  9. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Cody I haven't seen anyone taking you to task for wanting to live in an all white community. Conversely, you need to stop implying that there's something wrong with those who enjoy diversity. Move wherever you like because basically no one else gives a hoot where you live.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In my opinion, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with someone having a preference for living in an area where their neighbors are of the same race, and I don't think anyone here is implying that. Many black people prefer to live in black neighborhoods, and I think you'll find that in people of most races, particularly in the first generations that are in this country. But many of these neighborhoods have continued to be primarily one race or another for several generations.

Millinocket has a "Little Italy" neighborhood that even shows up as a dot on some maps, although it's always been a part of Millinocket. Even today, most of the people who live in Little Italy are Italian, although I doubt that very many of them speak the language or have ever been to the country, and I think that someone who was not Italian could buy a house there and be welcomed. That wasn't always the case, however. Older people who grew up here say that when they were kids, they avoided Little Italy unless they were Italian. Throughout the country, you'll find cities with neighborhoods made up of people who are primarily of one race or another.

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone preferring to live amongst people who look like them or, perhaps more importantly, who share the same language, culture, experiences, and religious values. Some people enjoy the diversity, while others don't.

This doesn't become a bad thing until someone acts on it to prevent others from moving in, or by not making them feel welcome because they are of another race. That is something that I can understand, but that doesn't make it right.

I moved to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, and lived in one town there where I was the only person not of Mexican ancestry, but I wasn't made to feel unwelcome. Wherever you go, you'll come across some rude or hateful people, and they might use race or language to express the hate that is within them, but there weren't very many of them. Oh, there were people who would refuse to speak English to me although they were quite capable of speaking English, but why should I expect everyone to change their language because I decided to move there? I don't think this implied that they hated me for being there. Instead, the message was that I was the one who decided to move to a place where people spoke Spanish so it's for me to learn Spanish. I never did learn to speak fluent Spanish, but once I had made a few steps in that direction, they were more willing to help me along with English.

I moved to Maine because I wanted to move back to a place that had four seasons, like where I grew up in the UP of Michigan, not because the people here are white.

It's nice to be around people who speak English but I don't really care much about anyone's skin tone. I spent a year and a half in North Carolina, and I felt more comfortable with the black people there than with some of the overtly racist white people who were there. I am not saying that most of the white people there were racist but some of them were clearly so, and I'm not interested in hearing anyone's racist jokes or any of that kind of thing.

I did not, in the part of North Carolina where I lived, at the time that I was there, come across black people who hated whites. We were there mostly to work, as we each working two jobs while we were there, so we didn't have time for a lot of socializing, but most of the people I worked with were black, I think, and I never got the idea that they hated me because I was white.

Obviously, I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood where the people around me hated me because I was white, or where I had to fear being beaten or killed, but I don't think that makes me a racist.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I remember putting this in another Thread. There are areas/cities in the U.S. that are very 1-race oriented. Here are some of them:
    Compton, CA
    Watts, CA
    South Central (part of Los Angeles, CA)
    Little Saigon in Garden Grove, CA
    Little Tokyo
    China Town
    East L.A., CA

and so on. 90% or more of the populations of those areas are of one race.

My wife's sister knows where we live and couldn't live here due to the demographics of the area. She told us that. Most folks here like the demographics of the area, because they moved from a city that had very similar demographics and they all love the diversity this city has.

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't mind living anywhere as long as it's not a high crime area.

Every place has some crime but I'm talking places like southside of Chicago or any place where thee are gangs.

I think the biggest factor for me is wether the place is gang infested.

I can live in an all white area and I can live in a diverse area...I do enjoy different cultures...always have.

I don't enjoy violence....and there are plenty of white areas that have lots of crime...so it's not a white thing.

Look at all the meth addicts...mostly white.

Frank Sanoica and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep @Chrissy Cross - I notice that a lot when hearing of crime, any colour is capable also any age

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What I'd like to see is the crime stats, concerning all races, all across the U.S.. It would be quite interesting, to me anyway, to see which races do the most crime and the races that don't or very little. There is a nice size Indian/India population here, and growing, but don't hear/read of any crime they do here.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Have you noticed that most of the serial killers and crazy shooters are usually white?