Race, Ethnicity, And Nationality; Is There A Difference?

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Faye Fox, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

The reason different cultures, different nationalities and even people with the same of both living on the same street, have different body scents due to the type of food they eat. It can be in their clothes or hair due to cooking, but it also can determine the smell of their sweat. Medications can also play a part in how a person smells. When it's a smell we aren't used to we can call it any number of things, especially kids, but it all goes back to differences in body intake.

My mom had family members visit from Germany when I was young. They were Jewish. I thought they smelled funny and didn't really want to share my bedroom with those particular cousins. It was due to their diet being different than what I was used to. They probably thought the same thing about me. :p

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Seemingly, there are some subjects that cannot be discussed without someone being offended. That's why so many forums don't allow the discussion of those topics, leading to a more politically correct, but boring forum experience.
    1. Try not to be overly offensive; and
    2. Try not to be too easily offended.
    The second part is just as important as the first. This is not going to be a forum that is under the control of those who are quick to take offense. If that bothers you, then find a forum more to your liking.

Frank stated something that was, to him, a fact. Faye was offended that he would mention it, but then went on to give reasons why this might indeed have been a fact. The reasons she gave are likely valid, and would add greatly to the conversation but then she negates it by suggesting that there shouldn't even have been a conversation.

If Frank's experience was that the body odor of the black students he went to school with was stronger than the Caucasian students, can we really assume that he would understand the reasons for it, particularly if he's not allowed to bring up the subject?

I also grew up in an area where everyone was white. Not only were they white, but they were pretty much all Swedish. Not only were they pretty much all Swedish, but most everyone I knew up until the ninth grade was related to me. My first actual encounter with a black person was my roommate in college. I can assure you that there wasn't a bit of political correctness on either side, as political correctness was not in vogue then.

Then again, there weren't actually sides either because we were just two people getting to know one another, and the skin color was only a small part of the differences there were between us. I wasn't raised to hate him because he was black, and he wasn't raised to hate me because I was white, so not hating one another was a pretty easy decision. More importantly, he was from a large city in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, while I was from a small town in the Upper Peninsula. His parents probably voted Democrat. That led to more differences between us than skin tone.

I don't know why sides need to be drawn up over things that no one had a part in deciding. That doesn't even make sense to me. I have grandchildren who are black, and the subject never comes up.

My point is that if Frank believed that the black kids in his school had a stronger body odor because they were black, wouldn't it be a good thing that he brought it up, so that he could learn some of the other reasons why someone might have a strong body odor? For that matter, I don't recall that Frank actually said that he believed their body odor was the result of being black. He was simply remarking on something that, in his experience, was a fact.

I cannot see the reason for the attack. He made a statement that I will have to assume was true. Couldn't you simply give reasons why this might have been true without the personal attacks?

How can we ever get to know one another, or understand one another, if we're not allowed to ask the questions or even mention the things that make us who we are?

The topic of this thread was a good one, but instead it was taken off into the meaninglessness of political correctness land.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox @Ken Anderson "Frank believed that the black kids in his school had a stronger body odor because they were black,"

I thought about not answering this at all, after Faye's blistering comeuppance upon me......however, it has become clear that my intent was misconstrued: First, it was not my experience with Black folks at all....I made that clear by stating "my NEPHEWS both wrestled Black guys.....". IN fact, my high school, being in the highly prejudiced area of Suburban Chicago, had NO BLACK students at all. Not a single one. That was because there was not ONE BLACK FAMILY living in Cicero, Berwyn, North Riverside, Brookfield, Lyons, to name a few towns. Thus I myself had NO EXPERIENCE PERSONALLY with Black people at all. I may not even have talked with one until I started at my first real job in Chicago at age 21!

I was commenting about the experiences related to me by my nephews, seeking thought and opinion on those reported experiences.

I should have kept my G.D. mouth shut, for as usual, it causes pain and discomfort for others, sorry
    @Von Jones , you know, I'm sure, I meant nothing implied by my post.

Frank

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica @Ken Anderson I apologize! I should not start or enter into discussions that are very close to my heart. I forget others weren't standing with me in the mid 1950's on the grade school playground when a light brown skinned kid pulled out his dads revolver and shot a darker brown "black" kid because his dad said all _____ deserve to die. I forget their clothes weren't blood splattered. I forget they weren't with me years later when my friend of mixed race "black" burned to death in an accident that would not have killed her had the hunter running down to help threw down his cigarette ahead of him on the spilled gas trail starting a fire, then running away. Her folks believed until they died that when the "white" hunter saw the "black" teenager they purposely threw down a lit cigarette directly on the gas trail. I don't know and never will. I will try to stray away from subjects that would require others to have the same experience to understand my sensitivity. I apologize to Frank as he was just trying to interact and get a discussion going. I will not however apologize to anyone that claims something is science when documented research shows different. I do apologize to all for being too easily annoyed. I do think Von made a great statement about the task of census takers in the early years of USA census. That would be a great discussion, but I want start it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's probably a good idea. Your drama level is sky-high.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Faye Fox

You are displaying a strength of character rarely seen in the cyber-world, it being so faceless and unendearing. I truly hope your distress when stating you would leave the forum has been dissolved......or at least glossed-over... do stay. Resilience of character is a gift not often found.
    Frank

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

There's about the same difference as between Religion and Creed.

H.P.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

I knew I would get this type of answer. :)
    Latino is a race, Hispanic comes from HISPANIA ( name of today's Spain when it was part of the Roman Empire) ; appliers to people born in Spain. Canadian is a nationality. IAW, a person could be Canadian / German / Peruvian... of Hispanic origin if their ancestors were from Spain.
    Latino is not a nationality.

10. Silvia Benoit

Registered

People should stop thinking that nationality and origin / background are one and the same.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

For some reason, you are totally NOT understanding what i wrote, @Silvia Benoit . Again....Martin is NOT Hispanic, he is NOT Latino, irregardless of whatever definition you want to give them.
    He only LIVES in the Dominican Republic. If he moved to Germany, he would not suddenly become a German, he would simply be a Canadian living in Germany, just like he is now a Canadian living in the Dominican Republic.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  12. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I think is the other way around...and you are not understanding what I said.
    If you think my question was based in the fact he lives in Dominican Republic you are very wrong; my question was based on his last-name.
    A person could be born in Canada, Argentina, Russia or anywhere....and he / she is a natural citizen of that country. Now, his / her heritage is something completely different. These two -nationality and heritage ARE NOT synonyms.
    An example: A former president of PerĂº, Roberto Fujimori, is a Peruvian born citizen of Asian (Japanese) heritage. I could give you other examples like Carlos McAllister and Camila O'Gorman, both born in Argentina and 100% of Scottish and Irish origins respectively.

Now, your last paragraph confirms you didn't understand my question. Don't worry, you are not the only person who reacts as you do about this subject.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Martin Alonzo is NOT his real name. People on this forum can use any name that they choose. Some people use their real name on here, and some people do not. Please do not judge people by whatever username they choose, @Silvia Benoit .

14. Silvia Benoit

Registered

"" This"" should have been your initial answer.
    BTW, to ask a question IS NOT judging. Thanks.

See, I assumed that it was his real name since Benoit is my mother's and Saint-Claire is my father's...too long for any computer. :)

15. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Latino and Hispanic are ethnic categories, and neither is a race. Here's a link to a wiki article that explains where/when the terms arose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic_and_Latino_(ethnic_categories)