R. I. P. Montserrat Caballe

Discussion in 'Celebrity Deaths' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Montserrat Caballe, who took opera into the pop charts by singing “Barcelona” with Freddie Mercury three decades ago, died aged 85 on Saturday.
    The Spanish soprano, who was born in the Catalan capital, had been in ill health for a number of years and was admitted to hospital in mid-September, a hospital official said. She died in Sant Pau hospital in Barcelona.

The Gran Teatre del Liceu opera house in Barcelona, where Caballe performed more than 200 times, described her as “one of the most important sopranos in history”.

Spanish tenor Jose Carreras said she possessed a voice of great range, combined with a flawless technique.

“Of all the sopranos I’ve heard live in the theater, I’ve never heard anyone singing like Caballe,” Carreras said in an interview with Catalunya Radio.

Spain’s royal family called her “the great lady of the opera, a legend of universal culture, the best among the best”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-p...balle-dies-in-barcelona-aged-85-idUKKCN1MG066

Don Alaska likes this.