Quotes From Joseph Campbell

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Debbie Allen, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Debbie Allen

Debbie Allen Veteran Member
    Registered

I read his books, The Power of The Myth and The Man With A Thousand Faces. I also loved his work and watched the program that he had with Bill Moyers. He brings to light all that we believe or are taught to believe and he brings one down to the basic level of our being and knowledge about the things around us.

Here are some of my favorite quotes from him:

“People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t think that’s what we’re really seeking. I think that what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances with our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive.”
    Joseph Campbell

“Myth is much more important and true than history. History is just journalism and you know how reliable that is.”
    Joseph Campbell

“Mythology may, in a real sense, be defined as other people’s religion. And religion may, in a sense, be understood as popular misunderstanding of mythology.”
    Joseph Campbell

“The problem in our society and in our schools is to inculcate, without overdoing it, the notion of education, as in the Latin educere–to lead, to bring out what is in someone rather than merely to indoctrinate him/her from the outside.”
    Joseph Campbell

“Is the god the source, or is the god a human manner of conceiving of the force and energy that supports the world? In our tradition God is a male. This male and female differentiation is made, however, within the field of time and space, the field of duality. If God is beyond duality, you cannot say that God is a ‘He.’ You cannot say God is a ‘She.’ You cannot say God is an ‘It.’”
    Joseph Campbell

“Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.”
    Joseph Campbell

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I like those, Debbie. Will reread when I have some more coffee. My brain is still in a fog.

Debbie Allen likes this.