Quick And Easy Czech Kolacky!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

In a Czech-Polish household, as a kid, there was always some kind of baked goods, bakery we called it, either home-made or store bought, available everyday. Few days ago, I came across a recipe for Czech Kolacky (pronounced "KO-LAHCH-KEY") which uses very few ingredients, much simpler than my Mother's were. Here's two pics, top before baking, bottom after.

They contain only flour, cream cheese, and butter (I used 1/2 butter, 1/2 margarine), and topping, no eggs, no leavening (yeast), no sugar, no flavoring. The finished kolacky are sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar. The topping I used is fruit left-over, the "mash", from wine-making, which my wife cooks up on the stove with a bit of sugar and sugar-free gelatin dessert which makes the jam "gel-up". They are about 1/4-inch thick, 3-inches in diameter. As of this morning's coffee, they are GONE! Calculated just a tad over 100 calories each, not too bad.

Whaddaya think? Try 'em? I'll post the recipe! Frank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

No latch key kid
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to make them a few times for my husband and even though I'm a lousy baker I seemed to do okay with them. He loved them, so did I. I probably won't make them for just me now but looks like an easy recipe.

I haven't had flour in my house since my husband died, so 12 yrs. :) no sugar either for the same time.

Frank Sanoica likes this.