Quesadillas

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

For anyone unfamiliar with quesadillas, the double l is pronounced like a y, since it's a Spanish word. Queso is cheese in Spanish, and these are basically a version of grilled cheese sandwiches, but made with tortillas, cheese and sometimes other fillings. In Mexico, they are usually made with a soft white cheese similar to mozzarella, but here in the U.S., they're made with various cheeses. I tend to make them with pepper jack, or a combination of shredded cheeses. I often make them with refried beans for a quick snack or meal, although I have made them with other ingredients, as well. If you have a few tortillas, some cheese, and a little leftover chili beef, pork or chicken, they're great to toss in, as well. Here's a nice, easy recipe. I always make my quesadillas with flour tortillas, because that's how I first had them, and it's what I prefer, but you can, of course, use whatever you prefer.

Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Grandsons love them, I make them often when I'm watching them which will be soon.

My daughter buys huge pkgs of the Mexican shredded cheese, it's a mixture of yellow and orange. She also usually buys the uncooked tortillas but sometimes the regular flour ones.

If there is any sort of left over chicken or beef, the boys want that added to it but will eat plain cheese ones.

They like to dip it in salsa verde.

Sometimes they'll even accept crumbled bacon on top of the cheese.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

There is an eatery here called Army Navy Club which serves nice hamburgers plus quesadillas and burritos. I used to frequent that eatery for snacks. The first time I brought along my husband, he ordered quesadillas thinking it is some kind of pizza. And when his order came, he was staring at me as if saying why I did not warn him. And why would I warn him? When I mentioned the menu of that eatery, he bragged that he loved Mexican food such as burrito so I thought he knew that. So whenever we would eat there, he would always order the steak sandwich and the onion rings. No more quesadilla for him.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We just bought a package of large flour tortillas for burrito making, but we will use them to make cheese quesadillas. The store didn't have the small flour tortillas. One thing for sure, the quesadillas will be big! We each have one on the weekend when watching NFL or PGA.

If we go to a Mexican Restaurant, and she orders a pork meal, that comes with a lot of chopped up pork, she will make a couple of burritos from that. Any left-over pork will go home with us and we will either have taco's or burritos the next night.

Sometimes, on a Saturday, we will go to this Mexican catering truck (roach-coach....it use to be and may still be called) and get some real/authentic Mexican food. Now, their taco's and burritos are fantastic!! Absolutely delicious, but can definitely be hot/spicy.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the taco trucks. Yep, they're still called that by some, but food trucks are becoming very popular. We always had them back home, but they're a big thing now, especially in downtown locations, and with office workers.

@Chrissy Page It's amazing to me how many different packages of cheese mixes there are aimed at Mexican type food. I don't see/taste much of a difference between the Mexican, Hispanic, and Casserole varieties, and I will buy whichever I come across. I find them very handy, and use them on just about anything and everything I cook. I'll sometimes microwave a small potato and just add a little butter, sour cream and shredded cheese. It's so quick and simple, and is great when you're in a hurry.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It's great.....
    [​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been thinking about quesadillas. I think I could use the waffle iron. I have a George Foreman grill too, but roomie over used that, and pretty much killed it, but it is still useable I guess. I used to have one of those little sandwich grills but got rid of it..I really want a painni maker so that I could make something like a quesadilla easily. I have some flour tortillas that I have to use up. This is just one of the things that I would like to make in it.

Joe Riley likes this.