Quality Of Life - What Does It Mean To You?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My Quality of Life as it is or what I want it to be can be quite different from some one else based on a number of factors like Health, Finances, Relationships. I am content with my present Quality of Life but realize that it could change. How about You? What are your thoughts about Quality of Life?

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have lived pretty well. My quality may differ from others but my qiuality of life
    has been satisfying. I have a roof over my head, I have enough to eat, in fact,
    too much, and if you could see my pouch you might agree. I want for nothing.
    I have enough entertainment, enjoy a good meal out occasionally, pick up a
    bottle of good wine when wanted, read good books, have a big screen TV, one
    of the latest Apple computers.

And while I have an incurable disease, it has been
    managed well, so well in fact my medical people say i am a miracle. I don't go quite
    that far but i have had a good care-giver and it is now that we or each other's
    care-givers. I used to wish I could travel some but that has long since past. It might
    have been I could have had more money in the bank to leave my kids but i don't know.
    I had a neighbor for many years who said often, if i have any money left over when I
    die, I've made a mistake, so I guess it depends on how you look at it. I could say my
    quality of life is almost as good as i wanted it to be. Yet i have no complaints. Is that
    good enough?

3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Great attitude Bill and having a incurable disease myself I can certainly relate to your post.

4. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

It clearly has to do with leading a self-determined life with as little dependence as possible. I've been enjoying it since I retired not too long ago.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I think each of us personally will have a different definition of what defines quality of life for us. For me it is being able to take care of myself and my Honey, being able to be with my family and help with the grandkids some, feeling well enough most of the time to enjoy the things I want to do in life and having enough money to pay bills and do the extras that are important to us too. Quality of life for me also is being free to live my faith and worship my Creator and Savior, as well as being free to study His Truth.

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Being able to be live without outside assistance from anything or anyone to do do the basic things in life.
    When the mind goes, I hope the blazes the rest of me follows-quickly.

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

I like your avatar.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Bill...a few years back now but comes in handy.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd say that for me, quality of life comes down to physical health, financial security, and having friends/family (and those are not in order of importance.) Also being free from stress, worry, anxiety and pain. So for the current time, my quality of life is excellent!

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

That 'bout says it for me, too, @Beth Gallagher .

I can't say I have no worry, though. I have family members who have cancer and I worry about them.

For me, my health is good. I am pain free. I can come and go as I please. I have enough money to pay my bills. Life is good.

11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Beer when you need it.

Howl

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs

Bill, do you mind my asking what that incurable disease is?

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Frank Sanoica,

Not at all, Frank, I have Emphysema, now called COPD, a lung disease,
    whereby, roughly speaking, the oxygen gathering buds( not their name) dry up and die off
    and are replaced with Carbon Dioxide making it difficult for the lungs to take in oxygen as
    less oxygen can enter the lungs and the lungs are not able to furnish oxygen to the body,
    primarily the heart and lungs, which can contribute to heart attacks, strokes, allow fluid
    build up in the lungs so that you can drown in your own fluid. I have lived longer than most live
    with this disease, so I am told by several lung doctors. I don't know why. I attribute some good
    to playing a harmonica which exercises the lung and diaphragm. Probably most doctors would
    not agree with me, so I don't know. Several in my family have had this disease and have died
    within five to eight years but many may live longer. I am much limited in physical activity, for
    example I am unable to carry our our household trash or walk over fifty or s sixty feet with out
    rest. And, I go to bed ever night knowing I might not awake in the morning, yet who knows?
    I am on a five year plan, each year when my birthday rolls around, I hope and plan for five
    more years. I'll be eighty six come May. I know this is more info than you asked for but talking and
    writing is a couple of things I can still do and I tend to go overboard. I must say I have envied
    you all your energy and abilities.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs
    Thank you kindly for that! I must admit the energy level as well as abilities are becoming less and less strong than they once were.......I will be 77 this summer.
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

But by the looks of some of your reports, you’re staying busy. A lot of folks decide that retirement means to sit and watch the grass grow but you still have a work ethic which helps to keep you going doesn’t it. :)

It may seem weird but some things we are told that are incurable and permanently debilitating can be reversed. I was told that several maladies I had around 4 years ago were incurable yet according to my scans and tests just 2 years ago, there are no signs that the problems ever occurred.
    Yvonne was told her kidneys would never get better and would continually decline yet her last couple of tests indicate that they are getting much better, not worse. One of two other things were going on and the doctors pronouncement of impending doom never happened and are somehow going against the prior diagnosis and prognosis.

To me, just because we’re told something doesn’t mean that we simply lay down and allow it to happen. Quality of life to me means that I am still living and working and able to fight to stay that way and beat the odds.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.