Purchased A Cheap Toaster

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Thomas Stillhere, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I needed a cheap toaster and bought one for 15 dollars at the nearby dollar store. Opened it a few minutes ago while I was in the kitchen and it is made of plastic, it won't even lock on the downward push. Going back in the morning to get my money back. I can't believe we don't have inspectors working to stop this illegal selling of dangerous and defective kitchen tools. You know it came from China ! I never plugged it in making sure they can't say I broke it. :mad:

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, that sucks. Sorry, Thomas. Do you happen to have a Goodwill or other "second-hand" type store in your area? Sometimes you can find good deals on lightly-used kitchen appliances.

3. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

No other than typical small city hall and a 3 man police department and 2 dollar stores and one market. A nice high school and a couple churches. I will probably just order from Walmart and have it sent to the PO. Things have really begun to get bad recently. My toaster I need to replace is metal and has lasted 15 years and it was bought from the same dollar store. Of course it isn't the dollar store's fault because they don't know what is in the box, it should have been checked on port of entry because it is not safe to use. The latch holding the tray down is another story, my old toaster is the same now but at least I can shove it up and down a couple times and it locks. This new one is hopeless, just defective. Walmart is about 20 miles round trip and if I did not have an oil leak on the engine I would just drive there and buy one even with bad knees. I like my buttered toast now that I am old, it is a lot better than all the candy I usually eat. Can you imagine having a thin plastic toaster :(

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I love toast too, Thomas. If you can't get the old toaster to work, whip out a skillet and make toast on top of the stove. You can butter the bread first then put it in the frying pan, toast each side to your preference. It only takes a minute and is my favorite kind of toast.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you didn’t plug it in and actually put a slice of toast in the new toaster, the mechanism probably does not lock down. I bought a new toaster from Amazon, and it is plastic, and very lightweight compared to the heavy old metal one that we had before.
    It works fine, it is a bright sunny yellow color , and I am totally happy with it.

You might try actually putting bread in the toaster and see if it does work properly once there is bread in it and it is plugged in.

6. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

You're so right. I had to play around with a new toaster once until it suddenly dawned on me...it won't work if it's not plugged in! Duh! It also won't work unless there's something in it to toast. ;)

7. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i always use cheap ones now

8. Jayce Gray

Jayce Gray Active Member
    Registered

I bought one at a church yard sale..for $3. Looked like new.

Wasn't sure how clean it was..

So...after doing some research..

Insides could be cleaned by spraying vinegar ...while off, of course.. unplugged.

Felt better about it.

Works good

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

When you buy a cheap toaster, what you have is a cheap toaster. I made the same mistake a while back. The bread was burnt on one side and not toasted on the other. I gave it away and went to Walmart and bought a more expensive (Metal) one.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  10. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I was desperate and bought another same brand but black external. What it was with the first one they Chinese changed the way a toaster works. Our toasters would start pushing the lever down after you put the toast in, theirs has a rotating button that you must turn right about a half a turn and if you don't turn it the toaster will not turn on. Go figure :rolleyes: I should say the lever will not lock down if the button is not turned half way. Crazy for sure, so the first one must have been good. I really didn't think my life depended on me reading instructions for a toaster or how to turn it on or off. :confused:

Beth Gallagher likes this.