Pumpkin Soup

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Richard Paradon, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

It is not exactly cold weather here, in fact, it never is, but once in awhile I like to make pumpkin soup. Find about a three or four pound pumpkin. Carefully cut the top out. This is a Thai pumpkin and the color is a bit different.

[​IMG]

Remove the seeds and fibers and set aside for making pumpkin seeds but I will just dry them and feed them to the Mynah birds.

[​IMG]

Cut the pieces of clean pumpkin in to chunks

[​IMG]

and steam them until they are soft.

[​IMG]

While they are steaming fry some chopped up bacon.

[​IMG]

When cool, scrape off the pumpkin from the skin. Add one cup of coconut milk, about a tablespoon of curry paste, the bacon, some nutmeg, cayenne pepper, a dash of salt and a splash or two of soy sauce. Cook on a low heat until it is cooked. It pretty much cooked already but the heat will help break up and blend the curry.

[​IMG]

Add a garnish and serve. The garnish I am using is just an edible leaf I found in the courtyard. Not sure of it's name.

[​IMG]

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

That sure looks yummy! And like you said, the Thai pumpkin is .... well, it certainly looks different from any pumpkin I've seen before.

I know, I've probably been living under a rock for the past 5 years or so, but I've never used coconut milk. Could you substitute cream or half and half, or is it totally different?

Thanks for the recipe.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Richard Paradon

Registered

It would make one scary "jack o'lantern" for sure! If you live near a Thai market, you can impress them by calling it "Fak Tongh!" which is its name!
    I am sure that half and half would be fine but you'd lose the coconut flavor. I have used milk in some of the recipes when I am too lazy to go to the market and in essence, soup is soup! Happy that you liked the recipe! I love cooking and taking pictures!

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Richard you have have Mynah birds? How awesome is that! Pictures please:). Tell us about them.

5. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

I love squash soups and make them often,, butternut squash and pumpkin are my favorites. I have never used coconut mlk in a soup, but it sounds interesting. The pumpking you are showing is truely beautiful and looks yummy. Does it have a different flavour from the pumpkins we are more familiar with? We do not have a Thai market in my area, however we do have a whole foods in the process of being built, so maybe they will carry them. I definitly would like to try one.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I remember that in Australia, what we call squash, they call a pumpkin, and what we call a pumpkin, they call by some other name; so maybe this is really something that we would call a squash if we were growing it here, too. It sure does look interesting, and I wish i had some seeds to try growing a few of them.
    It looks like some kind of a warped acorn squash to me, and I think that it would be interesting to grow some. The meat is thicker than the pumpkins we have here, too, and more like a squash.
    I tried squash soup before and liked it; but have not made it other than the once because i just enjoy eating the squash and not bothering to make it into soup.

7. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks great, but I have never tried this soup before. :D
    Might give it a go, it looks like those dinners for little babies. Haha

8. Richard Paradon

Registered

I don't have any personally but they are all over the place. At the moment, my camera is not functioning and my computer is on and off. Hopefully by the end of the day I will can add some pictures.

9. Richard Paradon

Registered

Hi Joyce! The flavor is exactly the same as the pumpkins in the states. LOL, horrible until you cook them!

10. Richard Paradon

Registered

Rather then cough up the money for a new camera I opted to buy a smart phone, but the birds are not used to seeing it yet so they fly away when I get close enough to take a decent picture.