Profound Sadness For Future Generations

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Mari North, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

*** Wasn't sure if I should put this in Faith/Religion or Politics/Government. Hope this is okay!***

Something that's been at the back of my mind for quite a while now has been made even more frightening this morning. I knew it before... but I don't know, maybe I was blocking it to a certain extent, or at least not realizing the depth of the problem.

But today... today I got a first-hand glimpse of how the younger generation thinks "these days." And it scared the heebies out of me. I just listened... really listened, to some online murmurings. It wasn't for show... it was all sincere statements. Never thought I'd *wish* someone would be showing off or acting big. That would have been much better.

Anyhow (Get to the point, Mari!) one statement... probably the most alarming, was that it should be made illegal for parents to introduce religion to their children... no, I err... I think it was more like "religion of all kind should be banned." I'm still stunned at that one... has the technology that's numbing young minds (and some older! ha!) really stolen the ability to "look ahead" too? To have common sense? Don't they SEE what that would mean?

Second "big one" I heard was that maybe all drugs should be legalized. Yep, ALL drugs. Not just the marijuana that's been at the base of a lot of controversy... all drugs. Legalize meth? I can't even wrap my mind around that concept. (Apparently one very liberal country already did it and didn't see a rise in drug use, arrests, etc. so they assume it was a wise thing to do.) Well DUH... if it's not illegal, there won't BE arrests! (But there WILL be a lot more dead children and teens.) :-(

I can make no sense of it. My soul cries. (Yes, I can get overly dramatic, but really! Legalize all drugs and ban all religion?! Heaven help us all.)

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Where did you hear this, Mari?

I see the opposite here in California, even in public schools religion is discussed. The 12 yr old had a homework assignment while I was there and I was surprised that they were even allowed to discuss that in a public school...I wish I could remember what it was.

Maybe because California has a lot of Mexicans who are for the most part very Catholic that I never see any issues regarding religion.

As for drugs they also have classes on that and how bad they are for you. Maybe it's just here.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    Linda Binning and Terry Page like this.
  3. Mari North

Registered

It was conversation that was going on between 20somethings and 30somethings. Their personal feelings. Thankfully not a news report or anything :) so I was sure to say "online murmurings."

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, okay....all this may depend on where you live the 30 something's I know would not talk like that.

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello Mari,

I see so much of this in movies, future syfy types? And I see those same ways of thinking, as well as the technology, coming true. It's been awhile since the saying "whatever seems right to you" is ok. It goes something like that anyway.

I believe everything you talked about is prophecy from the Bible. Sort of history repeating itself. Only the technology has changed. I am sad, and yes, frightened too. I try to enjoy my life, but the fears sometimes creep up on me. I was walking down a sidewalk, and met up with I think 5 teens, maybe 15-16. They were dressed well, didn't look scarey in any way. But they were filling the entire sidewalk, side by side. I am not very meek, so I took to the right, as always, and stood my ground thinking they might not budge, and that would cause me to either run into them, or get shoved into the wall of a store. They did not intend to give way, but seeing I wasn't going to they moved (the ones closest to me) just enough but our shoulders still bumped. I just ignored it walked on of course.

Yep, sad, and a bit scarey. At the same time, there are those that are still teaching their children good morals, and manners, respect etc. I meet them each day as well thank God. denise

Linda Binning and Mari North like this.
  6. Mari North

Registered

I enjoyed reading your post, @Abby Normal . The encounter on the sidewalk sounds scary for sure! I'm glad it didn't turn into a problem for you!

Yes, I know many people are still teaching morals, respect, values... and patriotism although that seems to be dwindling. :( That's a plus in all this... if only it could grow.

I wonder... after hearing the sidewalk story, how much of the mindset is the ever-growing "entitlement issue." I wonder if the fact that *they* don't have a religious upbringing or they do drugs, that they just automatically want no one *else* to have those things? If that's true, it's arrogance and selfishness to the extreme, isn't it? :mad:

Sense of entitlement is growing like wildfire.

7. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

In May of 2015, I read that Christianity is facing a sharp decline. It has become trendy to bash the label of "religious" or "organized religion", especially among the older Millennials born between 1981 and 1989. I remember seeing a bumper sticker years ago that said "Christianity is not a Religion. It's a Relationship"…in response to that very sentiment of "organized religion" bashing. The Bible teaches love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control...without that (and replacing it with the internet, video games, crude violent movies, chatrooms, dark music, etc) it's no wonder they have no sense of right and wrong. I'm speaking in general terms of course. Many Millennials are productive citizens with a good sense of morals despite declining interest in Christianity.

I looked up where I had read that Christianity is on the decline in America. It was in the Washington Post. Link is below and shows graphs and stats as well. It said "not just among younger generations or in certain regions of the country but across race, gender, education and geographic barriers. The percentage of adults who describe themselves as Christians dropped by nearly eight percentage points in just seven years to about 71 percent, according to a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center."

“It’s remarkably widespread,” said Alan Cooperman, director of religion research for the Pew Research Center. “The country is becoming less religious as a whole, and it’s happening across the board.”

Here is the link:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-becoming-even-less-affiliated-with-religion/

Mari North likes this.
  8. Mari North

Registered

Ah... that would make that group... turning 27 to 35 this year. Yep, that's *precisely* a representation of what I saw this morning. Too bad to hear it actually is a country-wide trend and I didn't just stumble into something that wasn't the norm. I suspect that somewhere in my psyche I knew that... but hope springs eternal.

9. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe it's mostly about selfishness, self-centeredness mari, like you said. We were raised to respect our elders, and be kind to all. Of course I fell short and still do on the be kind thing. Somewhere in there, I began standing for what I thought were my "rights", but it got out of hand. This was in the 50s, and all my life. The good things I was taught have overcome though. I have a conscience. When I do wrong, I have to try to make it right. Sometimes it's sad because I am unwilling with some things, to say I'm sorry.

I live with many, younger women. Some have been in prison, some have used the hardest of drugs, and drank tons of alcohol. Some have no direction, not a good one. The language is unbelieveable. I never thought of myself as straight-laced, but I cringe daily at the foul language that is literally part of who these women are. They like being identified as crude/tough, whatever.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like God has a purpose for you Abby. You're a good example for them.

Another thing too about the decline of Christianity is that Yoga and meditation is very trendy, and very good for us. But some yoga studios, not all but some, are run by the likes of Bikram Choudhury from India….owner of the most popular Hot Yoga chains in the nation. He also founded Self-Realization Fellowship. Turns out he's all about money and sexual assault. He's been charged with rape, kidnapping, and human trafficking. But his hot yoga studios continue. Here's his pic:

2_teacher2 copy.jpg images-3.jpeg

11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've seen the same types of 'murmurings' on Twitter. I read many different posts, not necessarily from people I follow, and sometimes will follow one hashtag to another and another, to see what's being said. It's amazing what you see, especially considering these people are having conversations about their innermost thoughts and beliefs, on a public stage. It's also very scary. I see many younger people with no understanding of how life, the world, or their country work, and they make sweeping statements about changes that should take place, much like the ones @Mari North mentioned. It's obvious that they know nothing of history or politics, and are very naive.

Naivete in and of itself isn't scary, but when people like that end up in positions of power, the consequences can be devastating. I read something recently about how naive some of Obama's policy advisers are, and find it disturbing with all of the knowledge and experience available, that people like that would come into such positions.

12. Mari North

Registered

Good thoughts, @Diane Lane . I call this "the sheeples syndrome." I really do think that much of it (I wouldn't dare guess at a percentage) is just following along blindly... and usually obliviously, like sheep because it seems the "in thing" to do. Well isn't that easier, after all? No worries about having to do that pesky thing called having a mind and opinions of your own. :( And gee, why would anyone want to have an opinion that's not {GASP!} popular among peers?

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Exactly, and I'm very dismayed to read the accounts of my nieces and see at least 2 of them follow along with these trends. At that age, I followed some fashion trends and popular musical bands, but certainly didn't rely upon my peers or the MSM to tell me how to think, what to believe, nor how to vote. This group seems unable to think for themselves, which is what the U.S. was supposedly known for when I was growing up. I find it ironic that this has arisen out of the people participating in the 60's mantra of not trusting the government, yet now those who do (question the government) are slandered and labeled as terrorists. These 2 younger generations have had more opportunities than most, and should be well educated and knowledgeable, yet are some of the least educated and least able to think critically that I've come across. I've worked with both generations, and it's pretty obvious that many have been failed by the education system, and in some cases, by their parents.

Mari North likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You're right, @Diane Lane. One of the places where freedom of speech is long dead, having committed suicide, are our college campuses, where students voluntarily surrender control over their thoughts, and demand that others do the same.

15. Mari North

Registered

Yep, yep... very true. It's like Stepford Wives... or zombie stuff out of science fiction... what some "leader" decides is the PC way to think about something, so the sheeples think. It's bizarre to watch.

Actually it's kind of comical at times, too... if you look over the background of some new "designer reactions" you'll find that at some point in time, the same groups of people were brainwashed into having the complete opposite "opinion"... if you can call it an opinion. I guess it's not that at all. Hmmm....

Kind of like our mamas used to say when we wanted to do something a friend was doing "Would you jump off a roof just because Susie jumped off a roof?" Never thought I'd see the day when the answer would be "you bet I would!"

Diane Lane and Ken Anderson like this.