Processed Meat

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We usually have processed meat in our freezer more often the tocino and the tapa. The tocino is cured pork while the tapa is cured beef. They are both a good match for rice. But in the recent years when we have read several articles about processed food causing cancer and other diseases, we stopped buying such. Hot dogs, bacon and other cured meat also fall in that category.

But the embargo is not total. We buy on occasions when we can cook it on the day. What we avoid is stocking up on such processed food in the freezer. How would you feel eating salami which was a month old in the freezer?

2. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

As long as the salami was wrapped and protected from freezer burn, it should be ok to eat. Personally, i try to avoid processed meat as I am salt sensitivr.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm very salt sensitive. I also avoid anything processed.

Month old salami is fine, Corie.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It should be fine, since it's frozen. I try to limit my intake of processed meats, but I do love them. I avoid them entirely when I'm in the throes of a migraine, or when I feel one coming on, but the occasional intake is fine, and doesn't seem to affect me any more than other processed foods.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

OK. Time to air the "processed" argument. What the hell does "processed" mean. Also, "Refined". WTH does that mean? We need an understanding of the suppliers' meaning here. My own nephew won't eat anything "processed". Aren't ALL foodstuffs offered for sale processed in some way?

The other keyword troubling him is "refined". If the label says "refined", he runs the other way!

Frank

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Good questions Frank. I think processed means premade into a ready to cook or ready to eat form
    Re fined I guess would be changing from it's natural form.
    I'm sure others will be better able to describe them

I try to limit processed foods but I still eat a lot of them. I love ham, bacon, and sausage for instance.

Sugar is refined but is much better than manmade attempts to replace it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Sheldon Scott
    I agree with you about sugar. Sugar, in a variety of forms, is a natural substance found in fruits, milk, etc. For that reason, IMO, it's more acceptable to me than "fakes". Of course, it can't be denied that many "natural" chemicals are not too good for us:

"Wild almonds are bitter, the kernel produces deadly cyanide upon mechanical handling, and eating even a few dozen in one sitting can be fatal. Selection of the sweet type, from the many bitter types in wild, marked the beginning of almond domestication. How humans selected the sweet type remains a mystery." From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond