Processed Meat Can Cause Cancer, Red Meat Probably Can -- World Health Organization

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Chrissy Cross, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

PARIS (Reuters) - Eating processed meat can lead to bowel cancer in humans while red meat is a likely cause of the disease, World Health Organisation (WHO) experts said on Monday in findings that could sharpen debate over the merits of a meat-based diet.

The France-based International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), part of the WHO, put processed meat such as hot dogs and ham in its group 1 list, which already includes tobacco, asbestos and diesel fumes, for which there is "sufficient evidence" of cancer links.

"For an individual, the risk of developing colorectal (bowel) cancer because of their consumption of processed meat remains small, but this risk increases with the amount of meat consumed," Dr Kurt Straif of the IARC said in a statement.

http://news.yahoo.com/processed-meat-cause-cancer-red-meat-probably-110326912.html

Thankfully I eat no processed meats and very little red meat, I'm not a vegan but as I grow older I seem to like veggies better. I eat seafood and poultry mainly.

Hopefully but I doubt it this may keep from getting colon cancer. That is what killed my husband.

My son is a big meat eater and Ill show him this but I doubt he will change. :(

My daughter eats more like I do.

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The World Health Origination [WHO] just put out a report on processed meat saying it was as bad as or worse than smoking to produce cancer. This is a good report and I agree with part of it they have studies to prove their point but then it is theory on part. The part about processed meat and burn red meat has been known for years and now they have put it into print. In their quick judgment of meat there is a problem their theory and fact do not agree. They claim red meat is a possible carcinogen but the fact is the culture with the least amount of cancer the Inuit [Eskimo] eat 95% of their diet is meat no grains, no vegetables, little fruit and their cholesterol is 350 – 500 and have no heart problems. This is not genetic because if they come south and eat everything we eat they have the same problems as everyone else. There is also cultures that seem to have beaten the cancer risk these are the people living in what they call the blue zones around the world most live in high mountain ranges and eat little to no grains they eat vegetables and meat. Theories are only good when they are based on fact and should be put aside. Be careful how you cook red meat do not fry or burn it because it makes Heterocyclic amines which are a known cancer causing chemical.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...cer-threat-cigarettes-health-experts-say.html

Ike Willis likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There are always exceptions to the rule. There are many smokers who never got lung cancer.

My dad was a big red meat eater and he lived to be 93!

Wasnt Steve Jobs a vegan? He died of Pancreatic cancer.

I really dont know what the answer is and why some people get cancer and some don't. I think genes has a lot to do with it and some cancers do run in families.

4. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Steve Jobs had a vegan chief who fried in extra virgin olive oil and this causes trans fats which have now been proven to cause cancer. Any oil exposed to air will oxidize and when heated becomes worse. There is a new study of epigenetics which shows that even if you have a genetic problem it can be turn on or turned off. epigenetics means above the genes interesting study. Most cancer are self induced another words it is things we do that causes it. If it runs in the family this is obvious most people sit at the same dinner table eating the same things or live in the same place. We have the people selling food telling us what is healthy we have doctors that only make money off us being sick telling us how to be healthy. Everyone needs to be there own doctor and check out what is healthy and it the information comes from the companies that make the food take it with a grain/cup full of salt.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, at the same table but for only the first 18 yrs of life in most cases. Anyway that is the case for my family and we are all spread out across the US. All different lifestyles too, even a couple vegetarians. Im curious to see how my side of the family will play out...so far nobody has died from cancer.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Given that the World Health Organization is a political animal, and one that pushes specific agendas that have little or nothing to do with health, I don't put much stock in their opinions. Their report on red meat concentrated a lot on pork products, such as bacon and ham, and seemed to be catering to Sharia Law more than out of concern for health. That said, I didn't need the World Health Organization to tell me that a steady diet of bacon probably wasn't the healthiest diet in the world. WHO proclamations are more about advancing political agendas, raising prices, and limiting choices, however.

I don't believe that the causes of cancer are known, but am convinced that more likely suspects can be found in the products made by Monsanto, and in other non-food items that have been introduced into our diet and atmosphere.

Ike Willis and Sheldon Scott like this.
  7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Pardon me for being skeptic but I had read so many studies, countless of them with their pronouncements to advance their causes. I remember in the early 1980s when a study said that egg has a lot of cholesterol and a primary cause for high blood pressure. There was a move to ban egg in the breakfast table. But the egg producers, one friend belongs to that group, came up with their own version of studies taken by nutritionists in the US, that the egg is one complete meal in itself. That you can survive by eating 1 egg a day.

So where does that take us? That meat is bad, canned meat is bad, anything they don't like is bad and they will support their argument with a study... but not conclusive. Even smoking has not been found to be damaging, no studies found 100% conclusive evidence. Cancer presumably caused by smoking is just that, a fact that is hard to rebut. But what about the smokers who don't get cancer?

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the things that makes me skeptical about meat being bad for us and causing cancer is an interesting fact about cancer cells themselves. And that is that cancer cells live almost exclusively on sugars in the diet.
    In fact, one very famous cancer cure was actually developed by using that fact.

The Wortman-Brandt grape cure for cancer was developed in the 1920's; back when the pharmaceutical companies did not have such a strong hold over doctors, and chemical prescriptions were not prescribed for every illness.
    The doctors studied cancer cells, and what they ate and what would kill the cancer cell.
    They discovered that dark freh grapes have several properties that help destroy cancer cells and cure the cancer. Since the cancer cells lived on sugars in the diet, and grapes were almost pure sugars, the treatment basically was like poisoning the cancer cells as they scarfed down the sugars and enzymes from the grapes.

The way they did this was to have the patient fast; so the cancer cells would be hungry, and then the first food fed to the patients would be the raw grapes, which then helped kill the cancer cells.

It would seem to me that a cancer prevention diet would not only include anti-cancer foods like grapes; but also be proteins, since the cancer cells do not use those.
    Of course, all foods that are treated and chemically processed, like bacon, lunch meats, and other processed meats would certainly not be good, and could set up reactions in the body that would turn cells cancerous in the first place.

http://www.alternativehealth.co.nz/cancer/grapediet/grape.htm

9. Martin Alonzo

Registered

The reason processed meats are bad is the additives they put in. Most have nitrates which prevent them from going bad [decay]. Your body is made to decay and then rebuild and putting a chemical in the body that changes this is just bad news. I still enjoy my bacon but it is bought from the butcher and not packaged there is no additives also it is not fried till it is hard. Some times I cook it with a little water than put it on my salads because I will not use oils on them.

10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Wait, if nitrates prevent decay then why aren't nitrates the fountain of youth…haha. Gimme summa that!

I couldn't believe this was on the Nightly News last night. I thought everyone knew processed meat is bad by now. I guess "more convincing" research results have surfaced….but I was already convinced.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I eat bacon, ham and sausage quite a bit. Sometimes Spam and Vienna sausage too. I quit listening to "experts" long. I do eat those and most everything else in moderation. Variety is important. I knew some people when I was working who would bring the same thing every day.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I dont eat those things not because the experts say not to but because they are high in sodium.

My body does not do well with too much...so I try to keep my sodium at 1,800 max!

As for meat, it seems the older I get the less I like it. Especially beef, never liked lamb.

I still eat chicken and turkey and seafood but I really like vegetables. Dont care for fruit too much except watermelon, pineapple and grapes.

I hardly eat any pasta or bread or rice....if I do eat carbs it is mostly sweet potatoes and different types of squash.

I dont eat like this because is saying I should but because its what I like.

Started drinking kefir which I hate but giving it a try, lol.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  13. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

I believe in moderation also. I spent a large portion of my youth as a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I eat meat now, in moderation, primarily chicken. Sometimes, I will eat bangers, and bacon in moderation, even steak tartare. Love shellfish, island girl that I am. I believe that excessive additives can tip the balance toward cancer, but I lean

heavily toward cancer being primarily a genetic disease--one not found in my family so far. I eat locally grown fesh fruits and vegetables whenever possible, especially those grown with naturally sourced island seeds. Lots of cranberry juice, and dried cranberries. Yogurt every day.

Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Welcome to the forum, Sacheen! :)

15. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks Angel! I joined a while ago, but techno-twit that I am, I found it difficult to navigate. No longer! I look forward to being a part of an interesting and informative forum. :D

Chrissy Cross likes this.