Prickly Pear Cactus Jam/jelly

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane, that ice cream looks more like our dragon fruit than a prickly pear. I don't know prickly pear, not a hint that it can be eaten although my husband had already mentioned that it is edible. Now, here is the puzzle. This thread reminded us of a picture of my husband with a prickly pear cactus. We had gone to a more likely it is in a resort, a beach resort maybe. But until now, we cannot place it where and worse, we cannot find that particular picture. It was shot just recently, not more than 3 years ago. Maybe we have been traveling too much and too often that our memories get jumbled.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Prickly pear cactus is supposed to be very good for your health. In Marukai Wholesale Mart near where I live on Oahu they have the juice of the prickly pear cactus and wow is it expensive! On sale it's $79.00 for a quart size bottle! It's supposed to cure diabetes 2. I guess it's alright if you make jams and jellies all the time to make it from prickly pear cactus. One of the videos I saw of an Indian woman making jams and jellies she said you've got to be very careful when you pick the cactus for the thorns are very huge and will hurt you if you pick it the wrong way. I never made homemade jams or jellies. I always buy the sugar free jams and jellies from Walmart.