Prickly Heat Rash

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Bert Davies, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Bert Davies

Bert Davies Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

After all the cold weather and snow, it got really warm today, and I've been attacked with 'prickly heat' or heat rash. I get this more in the summer months, do any of you members get it, and what remedies do you have to eliminate it?

Janine Coral likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That stinks, Bert.

I don't believe I've ever had it, which kind of surprises me, given that I've lived in sticky humid Virginia for 60 years.. If I had it as a child, I don't recall...which may be a good thing.

Janine Coral and Bert Davies like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't recall ever having a heat rash, either. I think talcum powder might help, though.

Janine Coral and Bert Davies like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I first moved from Southern California to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, where temperatures are high, I had a terrible heat rash. It would not quite clear up over the weekend, and then I had to go back to work on Monday.

gold-bond.jpg
    Gold Bond helped quite a bit but, on the suggestion of co-workers who had been there longer than me, the solution was to forego my air-conditioned apartment and air-conditioned car so that I could acclimate to the climate, and that worked for the twenty years I was there. Before then, I tried a few different powders, and Gold Bond seemed to work the best.

5. Bert Davies

Registered

Thanks folks, it was kind of you all to respond. :)

Janine Coral likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Hubby gets same thing. Doctor calls him in 1% Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream- good for many different types of rashes

Bert Davies likes this.
  7. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, during very hot and or very cold weather, I tend to get little episodes of a rash along with
    my dry skin, that I must keep on top of. Mostly though in the summer months for me, so I treat
    with moisturizing lotions and go from there. An annoyance though, that is for sure. Seems too
    mostly occur, behind my knees and crease areas. I can't be sweaty, that is when it is more
    noticable and have to bump up my vitamin B. Antihistamine lotions generally will help sooth
    my irritated skin down...

Bert Davies likes this.
  8. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I've used a combination of cornstarch and baking soda as a powder for prickly heat rash. It's cheap and seems to work well.

Bert Davies likes this.
  9. Bert Davies

Registered

I bumped into an old workmate last week, and the conversation got around to 'prickly heat'.
    He told me that his brother has a pond with goldfish in it, and what he does, is sit by the pond with his feet dangling into the water with the fish sucking up to his ankles where the prickly heat was raging.
    He said that it works a treat, but he has to buy new goldfish every 3 weeks. :rolleyes::D