Preventing a Cold From Developing

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Ruth Belena, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

There is no cure for the common cold, but there are things we can do to relieve the symptoms and stop it from getting any worse.

Yesterday I started sniffling and sneezing and was generally feeling out of sorts. After a few hours feeling sorry for myself, I made a big bowl of onion soup using my own vegetable stock. It has not cured me, but most of the nasty symptoms have diminished and I don't feel too bad, so I'm having another bowl of homemade onion soup today.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

When I start to feel under the weather I drink lots of hot tea and go to bed. I have found my body snaps back after a good night or all day sleep. It seems sometimes I just maybe tried and need the sleep.

Hope you are feeling better.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

While I know there are those who will insist that eating or drinking large amounts of citrus will not prevent or help to get rid of a cold, it always seems to work for me, but only if I do this immediately after detecting the first signs of a cold coming on. If I let it go until I have a full-fledged cold, it seems that it's too late for that to work. When I fear that a cold is coming on, I will eat as many oranges or grapefruit as I can stand to eat, and drink orange juice with the pulp, and it always works. It has to be real orange juice though, not orange drink or a mixture of orange juice and something else. Grapefruit juice would probably work but I have trouble drinking large quantities of grapefruit juice.

4. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

No cures or advice - but just wanted to let you know we are thinking about you and hoping you will get well soon.

BTW, the homemade onion soup sounds good - can I have some??

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have always been a believer in the use of vitamin C , and especially if I feel like I might be coming down with a cold or flu. This seldom happens, but if I do think I might have gotten some kind of a “bug” that my immune system needs help with, I immediately up my vitamin intake, and especially that of vitamin C.
    Doctors would rather tell you to take something that they can sell you (or prescribe for you); so the effectiveness of taking vitamins of any kind is often downplayed by the doctors and pharmaceutical companies.

We get the powdered vitamin C, and it only takes 1/4 teaspoon to give you 1,000 mg of vitamin C. You can mix it in with any juice that you like, add it to a smoothie, or just drink it with some water.

I am just watching this video by Dr. Andrew Saul, and he is talking about the benefit of taking a large dose of vitamin C to prevent getting the COVID virus.

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Getting a cold and not feeling well is a good time to baby yourself. When I was kid my mother made me toasted cheese sandwiches and condensed tomato soup with warm tea. Very comforting.

Lois Winters and Ken Anderson like this.