Presidential Primaries Begin

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Hal Pollner, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher

To watch, ogle over, and in any other way embrace the idolatry of such ill-fit persons, as they are immersed in monies received but little-earned, denies the observers' possession of any common sense.
    Frank

Beth Gallagher and Lois Winters like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I think that is not so unlikely, but it will take some time.

Some Republicans may join the moderate wing of the Democratic party. . They have nowhere else to go now. They don't fit with the Tea Party/Freedom Caucus folks. Look how many moderate Republican Congress members have decided not to run for re-election over recent years.

I still blame Newt Gingrich for starting this keep-spreading-lies-often-enough-and-people-will-believe-them. trend. The anonymity of the internet has allowed this to escalate beyond Gingrich's wildest dreams.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Hitler's Propaganda Minister Josef Goebbels used the same psychology on the German masses: Keep telling them that the Nazis will create a new, Superior Race and they will soon believe it!

Hal

Nancy Hart and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's interesting because I have always viewed Newt Gingrich as being a neoconservative, establishment Republican. Indeed, that is what he was known for until Trump was elected to office. I think Newt has grabbed onto the Trump train as a way of staying relevant.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson

Ol' Newt has consistently lived-up to his name and image throughout a near-lifetime existence supported entirely by taxpayers. Here he is before his human reincarnation:

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt

Nancy Hart and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

@Frank Sanoica, remember Newt giving long speeches at night to an empty House when C-SPAN started covering it on TV?

You are probably right. He was likely considered establishment back in the days when he was Speaker. He was one of the first to make extensive use of "talking points" for his caucus. I don't like talking points, but they seem to work.

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I always admired your skill with words, Frank! Are you from Kingman, Arizona?

Hal

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Hal Pollner

"From"? Meaning originally? Hardly. Born & raised in Berwyn, Illinois, pop. 55,000 suburb of Chicago, 30 years there, then: Las Vegas, Colorado, Ft. Wayne, Indiana, Phoenix, Show Low Az, Phoenix, Missouri, AZ (now).

That's where I'm from.
    Frank

Lois Winters likes this.
  9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Caucuses in Nevada today should be interesting.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm on the edge of my seat, Lois. :D:D:D

Lois Winters likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

The Utah Republican primary is on March 3rd. I'd like to see Bill Weld get enough delegates to be allowed to speak at the convention. He is one of the good guys. Maybe they will change the rules if he does. They canceled the Republican primary for Nevada this year.

12. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

:cool:

13. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

How did he become one of the good guys?

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

Just my opinion, Al.

15. Nancy Hart

Registered

In my opinion, there is not a nickel's worth of difference in all the Democratic candidates, as far as what will actually happen in terms of legislation, if one of them becomes president. I don't say that in a negative way.

For example, all would likely prefer Medicare for All if there were a way to get it accomplished without major disruptions. All would prefer infrastructure spending, instead of tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations during an economic boom.

A president doesn't make legislation. He can propose legislation, but Congress does the making. A president can only veto it or sign it. What I expect in a president is someone who will sign something if it makes things better. Changes usually happen incrementally, not overnight.

The only thing that worries me a little about Sanders is his temperament. Will he sign a bill that makes things better, if it is not exactly what he wants? I would hope he is mature enough at his age, and with his experience in Congress, to understand the old saying, "the perfect is the enemy of the good."

The primary campaigns are a different animal from general election campaigns. In primaries candidates are vying for segments of the voters in their party who they think are up for convincing. So you hear variations on the main themes. That's the way it's always been. .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020