Potting Materials

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Corie Henson, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

About 3 weeks ago, we prepared the ground where we planned to plant the exotic guava - it has very small leaves and the fruit is as small as marbles. We left the hole for some weeks for aeration and also to observe the presence of pests.

We planted the guava the other day after setting up the hole with potting materials. Aside from some compost, we poured rice husks (others call it rice hull) and some bits of coconut coir. That mixture would take care of the sticky soil so it will not constrict the roots. The small guava tree looks hale and hearty now.

That's right after planting the exotic guava tree - IMG_5431 guava plant.JPG

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Good job Corie. We have 2 tulip trees that have come up in our strawberry beds. I plan to transplant them this fall.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Last year, I had segregated the welcome plant into several pots for the intention of giving it to neighbors as my Christmas gift to them. That plant is like a grove that grows shoots and the best way to replant is to cut off some grown up shoots. The big welcome plant in the backyard could be cut and divided into 6 plants, the number that I needed. After buying 6 new plastic pots, that's when the problem of potting materials came up. It is okay to use ordinary soil but we prefer a good potting material especially so that we only have 2 weeks left for the plant to grow in the pot before giving it away.

Out of rice hull, we bought some coconut husks. We also gathered dried leaves and dug up some soil with earthworms. After shredding the coconut coir, we mixed it with the ordinary soil and the dried leaves. There, we had that potting material and the plants were replanted in the 6 pots that I had bought. When Christmas day came, the pots displayed healthy plants that was a joy to look at.