Post-cataract Surgery Problems

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Chrissy Cross

Registered

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

That's fine. I was told a few years ago about my cataracts, that they were coming on. When I got my last pair of glasses, last November 2017, I thought my OD gave me the wrong prescription, because my vision was dwindling when viewing street signs and I was seeing halo's around street lights and vehicle lights. So, I went back to him in Feb and found out that I had the best prescription he could give me. He referred me to a surgeon, who had my eyes examined also, and concluded that I was a definite candidate for cataract surgery. The cataract in the left eye had gotten that bad.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Appears that he is a surgeon also.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh of course it's more preferable to going blind... but I read that this young girl wanted lasik surgery so she didn't have to wear contacts or glasses any more.. not because she had cataracts!!

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not wanting to wear contacts or glasses anymore is why cataract surgery is performed. Cataracts is one reason, but there may be others, I don't know that. Laser assisted cataract surgery is the highly recommended surgery to have done. Thing is, the laser surgery and customized lens (IOL) I had put into each eye, is costly...…...like $1,900 for each eye of mine. Anyway, the laser breaks up the cataract and makes the incision to take the pieces of cataract out. No blade is used for the incision, like use to be done before the laser came along.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Not wanting to wear glasses or contacts is why lasik surgery is done...cataracts are different. You can have cataract surgery and still need glasses....depends on your eyesight problem.

The issue with cataracts is that even wearing your glasses you don't see well.

My sister had lasik surgery just for her vision...she didn't have any cataracts and still doesn't.

This woman I'm reading had the SMILE lasik surgery which is newer....and recovery time is longer so don't know the benefits...cost is the same.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just read about Lasik surgery and you and Holly are absolutely correct, but did read that Lasik surgery could be used for cataracts as well. The key words are, "could be".

If a person has the cheapest, most inexpensive cataract surgery, that Medicare does cover fully, glasses most likely will still be needed...….that was in the Cataract Surgery Sheet I was given. The statement "glasses most likely will still be needed" is why we spent $1,900 (per eye) for the laser and customized IOL (lenses) called Astigmatism Lenses for my eyes. My eyes were actually measured for these lenses. The only glasses I have to wear is Reading for looking at fine print or my iPhone. When driving, I don't need glasses anymore. My distance vision now is 20/20 (considered perfect) and 20/25 (considered near perfect).

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

The only time I don't need glasses is middle distance. If I'm in a movie I take my glasses off. The same for watching TV.

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

A well-known Michigan TV meteorologist and mother-of-two is allegedly one of at least 11 people who have killed themselves after suffering complications from Lasik laser eye surgery, according to a well-known online support group.

Jessica Starr, 35, took her own life on Wednesday, one month after telling fans that she was struggling to recover from the surgery she got so she could finally stop wearing contact lenses.

Starr was one of an alarming number of Lasik patients who suffered from agonizing, chronic pain following the surgery, according to Paula Cofer, the founder of a support group called Lasik Complications, which strives to educate potential patients about the risks of the surgery.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...1-killed-complications-Lasik-eye-surgery.html

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, I read this, but really think there is more to the story than we are reading. Anyway, I didn't have Lasik surgery. There are risks even with the surgery (on each eye) that I had, but still beats the heck out of going blind from cataracts. Even with the problem I currently have, wife and I are very glad I had the surgery to get the cataracts removed and new lenses put in.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'll get cataract surgery when it's absolutely needed but I'll never get lasik surgery just so I don't have to wear glasses.

I have eye issues anyway, probably wouldn't be a good candidate.

After this story I'm reading many are changing their minds about the lasik....don't blame them.