Politics At The Dinner Table- Please Respond

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Jordan Atwell, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Jordan Atwell

Jordan Atwell Well-Known Member
    Registered

With thanksgiving coming up, will you be talking politics at the table? I think healthy conversation is important to discern solutions, especially regarding important political and social issues. However, we are currently greatly divided and citizens operate on a different set of facts, depending on where they get their news. Do you like to talk politics with friends and family or settle for "let's agree to disagree"?

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't eat at a table. We eat in our recliners and it's just wife, myself and the tv. Sometimes we will be watching old western tv shows on a cable channel we get. Other times, especially on Sunday, it's NFL time.

IOW, politics isn't our favorite subject.

3. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Several things here ZERO sports allowed on TV in my home like none! If anyone talks race-sex-religion-politics so be it all ok but cause a problem you are told to leave right then so up to all here if I decide to have any over. I miss doing that a lot as we allowed any subject just don't create a problem for anyone is all. In many years only 1 time and guest told to leave right then and not return. I have not yet decided to have any come as some work for UBER and have no idea who they have been around so may not have them but will tell them why, several of us all got tested for virus last week and all clear so we may have a mini meal or go shooting or fishing just not sure yet also weather may be an issue there with storms and mud problems. Been fishing lots and shooting also every chance here. Not much not allowed at my eating time at table, I do not invite any known problems nor do I have to anymore...I sure miss the old times when I cooked and had many over to eat and visit we heard it all from neighbors on who was doing what to whom. Wonder if this will ever happen again? A combined new year and birthday gathering.
    nyxxx.jpg

4. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

No politics around the table: Janet's dad is a staunch Republican, her sister a strong Democrat. They get together every Sunday to watch football. They've learned to keep political discussions at bay. We don't go there, as well, when everyone gets together.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

No no but !:&(no !
    No Tnxgiving dinner here anyway this year- but still politics and religion are not subjects to Try and discuss lightly with some people. Basically I don't even do that on here.;)

6. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

My best friend on scooter we have 4 countries represented in this picture from last year, she is German also Spain, Brazil, UK, this is not even counting the outside of kitchen.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

If a political issue comes up at the table, there'd not be any disagreement. It would mostly be jokes anyway; we like to have fun and lots of laughs.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Like Cody, my wife and I don't dine at the Supper Table unless we're dining at a Restaurant.

At home, my wife eats in the Family Room while watching Sports on our 65-incher.

I watch from my Recliner in the Master Bedroom, where my wife serves me on a tray that I place over the arms of the recliner.

I have my first Rum & Coke at 6, and my second at 7, after which Supper comes around at 8 or a little before.

When we have a guest, we all eat at the Dining Room Table.

We find this schedule most fulfilling in our household!:)

Yowzah!
    Hal

9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Ok it's time for a joke that may be a little insensitive. It's subject is the definition of a tragedy.
    The setting is in the heartland of America.(Florida)
    Nancy Pelosi was visiting a primary school in Tampa and visited a grade four class. They were in the middle of a discussion related to words and their meanings.
    The teacher asked Mrs. Pelosi if she would like to lead the discussion on the word 'tragedy.' So our illustrious Democrat asked the class for an example of a 'tragedy'.
    One little boy stood up and offered: "If my best friend, who lives on a farm, is playing in the field and a tractor runs him over and kills him, that would be a tragedy."
    "No," said Pelosi , "that would be an accident."
    A little girl raised her hand: "If a school bus carrying 50 children drove off a cliff, killing everyone, that would be a tragedy."
    "I'm afraid not," explained Pelosi .
    "That's what we would call great loss."
    The room went silent. No other child volunteered. Pelosi searched the room.
    "Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?"
    Finally at the back of the room, Little Johnny raised his hand. The teacher held her breath.
    In a quiet voice he said: "If the plane carrying you was struck by a 'friendly fire' missile and blown to smithereens that would be a tragedy."
    "Fantastic!" exclaimed Pelosi , "That's right. And can you tell me why that would be a tragedy?"
    "Well," says Johnny, "It has to be a tragedy, because it sure as hell wouldn't be a great loss ... and you can bet your sweet ass it wouldn't be an accident either!"
    The teacher left the room