Politics And Religon? Can They Be Blended? Should They Be?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Babs Hunt, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I know this...there are probably just as many opinions about whether believers should be involved in Politics as there are religious denominations now days. Some might allow voting but not getting involved in the political aspect of things any further than that vote. Others seem to be deeply involved in the whole process. I'm never done research on political research in the Bible but I do know that in the Old Testament for sure a woman named Deborah was a Judge, and that Queen Esther got involved in politics in a "way" when the Jewish people she was descented from were trying to be destroyed. I also think the Prophets were often "involved" in political issues of one sort of another as God called them to be.

I do know that in the New Testament "Church" Government existed although I'm sure how they went about "seating" these Church Officials, etc. I know we are supposed to pray for those in Authority over us both in the Church system and the World system. And I also know believers are supposed to live in this world but not be of it. It seems that even most Churches don't know what that means anymore...or maybe they never did. Anyway, I don't want to get legalistic about this...or argue about it. I want to discuss your thoughts on whether believers should or should not get involved in Politics? And what you feel the Bible says about this.

As for me, I usually pray if I have any doubt about doing anything...and then when I feel God's peace to go ahead with something...I do.

To sum it all up: Should Christians from a Biblical aspect be involved in Politics? And if so, in what capacity?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not sure I understand your question, Babs. There are many religious politicians, at least they claim to be Christians or whatever but that shouldn't be involved in their jobs. They can go to church on Sunday and do whatever in their private lives.

There is a separation of Church and State in this country.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy, No, you are not understanding my question and part of that might be because I haven't phrased it well. Basically, I am asking if Christians from a Biblical standpoint should be involved in Politics? And if they are... to what degree? I added that edit to my original post so maybe others may better understand what I am asking too.

4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't really answer the question Babs, as I am not religious and haven't looked at a bible since childhood, so I would guess it can only be a personal decision based on what you as an individual have gleaned from reading the bible.

I personally don't see any problem with a Christian being in politics, because the principles of Christianity are basically humanistic and a force for good.

However I wouldn't want a politician to be promoting his faith through his political work, because I feel living in a multicultural society that would create many problems.

Sheldon Scott and Babs Hunt like this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks @Terry Page. Your answer is actually a very wise one for all personal decisions. I think the problem is with my question. It may be a good question on a Religion Forum but not so much here where a lot of people don't even read the Bible, etc., so they wouldn't know if or what it says about getting involved in Politics as a Christian. Even though I do read it, I'm not even sure what it says about this....and therefore my question. I do know that there are so many Christian denominations now days and they all have differing opinions about this. I think I'm just trying to find out some of those opinions based on a Biblical aspect as they see it to be or have been taught in their denomination. And yet I somehow wanted my question to be open enough so anyone could feel free to speak their thoughts.