Polish Recipe For Cabbage Rolls.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Helene Lawson, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I decided to share some Polish recipes with you folks, I hope that you will enjoy them. :)

INGREDIENTS

DIRECTIONS
    1. Chop onion.
    2. Mince garlic.
    3. Saute garlic and onion in 2 T butter over medium heat until onions are caramelized. Remove from heat and let cool to near room temperature.
    4. Beat 2 eggs thoroughly with 2 T marjoram, 1 T thyme/sage, salt, and pepper.
    5. In bowl, add ground beef, pork (or veal), rice, onion, garlic, and eggs.
    6. Mix thoroughly with your hands.
    7. Cover and let rest in the fridge. (You can let it sit overnight, it will just let the flavors permeate more.).
    8. Core cabbage.
    9. Blanche cabbage leaves in boiling water, peeling them off as they become limp. (Alternatively, after coring the cabbage, you can put it in the freezer and after it's frozen, let it thaw and the leaves will be limp--you can just pull them off. **If you choose to freeze, freeze the cabbage the night before and keep in mind it will take a few hours for it to thaw**).
    10. Once you've separated all the leaves, take a paring knife and cut off any thick stems preventing the limp leaf from bending/rolling.
    11. Put about 2 T of meat filling in the center of each leaf. Fold the sides of the leaf in and roll it up into a little package. Put each golabki seam-down into a casserole dish. (At this point, if you like, you can freeze them and thaw them later. Once thawed, continue with the recipe steps below.).
    12. Once you've used up all the cabbage leaves or meat filling, take your cans of tomatoes and pour them over the golabki.
    13. Sprinkle the remaining teaspoons of marjoram into the tomato sauce before pouring it over the golabki and tomatoes.
    14. Bake covered at 350 for 2 hours.
    [​IMG]

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, that looks like a very good dish. How I miss my mother in law who used to cook stuffed cabbage rolls that I cherished. But instead of ground beef, she uses ground pork and does not include rice. I am really amused with the rice. And that photo, I am now salivating with the imagination of how it really tastes. Thank you for the recipe, I hope I can cook that dish someday and let this site know about it.

3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you for the recipe, I have always been curous about how to make stuff cabbage. Turns out it is a whole lot of work as I always suspected. But its also a good dish none the less and certainly something different to make. This recipe seems like a good one for stuff cabbage, I will have to keep it in mind.

4. Helene Lawson

Registered

It is a very delicious dish, you should definitely try it and give us a shot about how you liked it. :)

5. Helene Lawson

Registered

Well yes, you will need to dedicate some time in order to make this dish, but it's worth the effort, because the dish is very tasty. :D