Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Mari North, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Someone mentioned this in another thread/another topic... and when I tried to find out what it was, I asked my daughter. She told me what it is, what it causes people to do, and said "people are going to start getting killed with that thing, they are oblivious to their surroundings!"

Well sure enough, two men plunged off a cliff... California, I think, while doing the Pokemon. They weren't killed, fortunately, but... anyhow, where do we draw the line on gadgets and technology? Who determines what is too dangerous to put out there? And if people allow themselves to get so oblivious to where they are, is it any worse than texting in a car? Same problem, only in a car, you're putting others as well as yourself in danger. I'm thinking there's personal responsibility in the games you choose to play and while there can be laws about not texting and driving, there really can't be about not playing games.

Edit: Ooopsie, I just saw that @Chrissy Page mentioned the cliff thing yesterday in the other thread! I must be a day behind on my news. I thought it just happened! :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  2. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, nothing that dramatic has happened here. It is a harmless game and I find it curious that there are 22 million users worldwide in just one week. Lots of planning went into this game by the creators and it has reulted in lots of fun.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Mari North

Registered

Fun if they pay attention, yes. :) And are respectful... unlike what @Diane Lane reported in the other thread about Auschwitz. And the people (not as many kids as older people, surprisingly!) walking down the middle of streets not watching what's going on. A little responsibility goes a long way.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, what is it? If you stated it Mari, I don't see it. I tend to miss hyperlinks.

We also had someone stabbed in CA. Not sure if he died.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Mari North

Registered

What is.... what? I didn't have any links. I was asking what everyone thought of this new game. OH! What is Pokemon Go? I'm slow today. :) It's a virtual reality game where you move along wherever you are and "catch" the little characters that appear in your game. Only people aren't watching what's going on around them.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Mari North

Registered

Thanks, Joe! I hadn't had time to look it up yet and just had the basic bottom line of what it was. I'll have to go check it out now.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yikes, I see! Hope my grandsons aren't playing. Thankfully the little ones aren't allowed to venture out but I wonder if the 17 yr old is playing.

I have gone through years of buying Pokemon cards for the grandsons and used to know most of the names of the characters.

Even one liked the Pokemon stuffed animals.

Looks like at least it gets you out and walking but people, aren't paying attention. I see more injuries ahead.

Diane Lane, Joe Riley and Mari North like this.
  9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been seeing and hearing that Pokemon Go almost every day. But honestly, I don't know what it is and all I know is it is a game, an app or something that people go gaga for now. Just like candy crush or the angry birds of yore, huh. I wonder how long the hype will last. I never imagined that people will be engrossed in a computer game because all along I thought games are only for the kids.

Can someone explain the mechanics of that Pokemon Go? In layman's terms, please.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Mari North

Registered

Joe has a link for it in this thread, @Corie Henson ... it's not really a computer game, it's virtual reality when you're outside and walking around.

Diane Lane and Corie Henson like this.
  11. Mari North

Registered

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek::eek: Hubby just came into my office here... I caught a... uh... did he say "squirtle?" Okay, great. Uh... what's that? "I got Pokemon Go and I caught one of them in the bedroom." Heaven help Mari.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I do think it's good that people are outdoors and getting some physical activity. it sort of reminds me of geocaching, which I don't do, either. That involves using coordinates (as far as I know) to locate objects, then logging them in as found and leaving them for others. I'm not sure if people add to the cache or not. A friend was playing with her grandchildren a year or two ago, but I haven't heard much about it lately. I'm all for fun games and activities, as long as people are paying attention. Unfortunately, a lot of these people don't seem to be focused on walking/driving, etc. What I did see though was that some entrepreneurs are making money by offering their services as chauffeurs for those playing the game, so that could work out for all involved.