Playing With Word

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Martin Alonzo, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

How to change words to make some tragedy into a small event

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warren Commission

The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy, known unofficially as the Warren Commission, was established by President Lyndon B. Johnson on November 29, 1963[1] to investigate the assassination of United States President John F. Kennedy that had taken place on November 22, 1963.[2] The U.S. Congress passed Senate Joint Resolution 137 authorizing the Presidential appointed Commission to report on the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, mandating the attendance and testimony of witnesses and the production of evidence concerning the infraction occurring in Dallas, Texas on November 22, 1963.[3] Its 888-page final report was presented to President Johnson on September 24, 1964[4] and made public three days later.[5] It concluded that President Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald and that Oswald acted entirely alone.[6] It also concluded that Jack Ruby also acted alone when he killed Oswald two days later.[7] The Commission's findings have proven controversial and have been both challenged and supported by later studies.

concerning the infraction occurring in Dallas

They seem to want to treat this equal to a parking ticket or it was little of importance

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Exactly, so can you imagine how much the bible has changed from the original that wasn't even in English.

Besides that though there's also the fact the Wikipedia can be edited by anyone.

Diane Lane and Martin Alonzo like this.
  3. Or the modern term 'offender'- you don't know if a person committed a violent crime or got a parking ticket.

4. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Also, the word "infraction" typically refers to a small offense. Talk about spinning an event. I find spinning something is offensive to the public. We are able to handle the hard stuff.

Diane Lane and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

How did I miss this thread?? Wonderful expose of the dutiful miscreation. "Spin" has taken on a whole new meaning nationally, The Medicos warn us of "infarctions", while the Powers that Be warn of "infractions". How can we come out ahead? Frank

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The press and advertising agencies use words and change their meanings all of the time. I find it very irritating. Many things irritate me these days, so I may be more sensitive to such things than others, but I don't like how they have so much influence over especially young minds, with their constant programming and muddling of their minds. One thing I find really offensive is this ad campaign by Honey Maid.

7. Responding to two parts of your post:

First, are you familiar with a (fill in a bad word) known as the 'Urban Dictionary'?

Second, wasn't it so much better when companies focused on advertising their products, instead of trying to 'give people messages'?