Planting Center For Potting Plants

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been using my garden cart filled with potting soil and an old table left by next door renters when they moved, and that was my little area for potting up plants for spring and summer planting.
    Last fall, Bobby needed the garden cart for somethings he was doing out in the greenhouse, and he has been using ever since.
    I was looking at garden carts and wheelbarrows with the idea of replacing it so we can each have one, but then I found this little gardening center cart on Amazon that has little storage shelves, a bin for the potting soil, and just the right height for working with plants, and we just ordered one for me to use.
    It should last forever, and I can get rid of the ugly old sway-backed table that I have been using and have a nice little potting area to work out of. The shelves and bins on the cart are movable; so I can have just the one I need at the top .
    The unit is on wheels, should I want to move it around the yard, so that will be nice if I need to use it in different areas of the garden and yard.

I will still need a large tub to store the big bags of potting soil in, but one of the plastic tubs with a lid from walmart will be fine for that, and then I can just transfer smaller amounts to the small potting bin on the cart.

A73F21F9-7739-4FE8-A8CA-F2528C3FED40.jpeg

Holly Saunders and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That looks slick, @Yvonne Smith. I have an old potting center that was built by one of my son's brother-in-law. It is not as nice as the one you show, but most of my planting at this time of year is done inside due to the temperature.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Right now, everything is being started inside here, too, @Don Alaska ; but in a couple more months it will be warm enough here for me to be outside a lot more, and that only lasts a little while, and then we are in the “too hot” season of summer.
    Bobby does great with the heat, but when summer arrives, I have to be outside early and back inside before it gets too hot and humid.
    I am thinking that this cart might fit right up under the eaves of the house by the water faucet, and that would be a great place for me to use it, and it would stay pretty dry if it does fit under there.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

I have really been enjoying this little planting center, and I am happy that we got it. I have used the front yard for my “potting area” for the last several years, but now that the trees next door have been cut down, we are actually getting sunshine out back, and more of it than the shady front yard.
    Since we are setting up the little garden area out back, next to the garage and backyard pool, I decided to move the planting area out back, too.
    I think that this is going to be a much better place for it, and it is out of the way and tucked up under the eaves of the back of the house besides.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I like those plastic units.

A friend was showing me a Rubbermaid wheelbarrow he bought second hand. It should last forever. Meanwhile, my 2 metal ones are rusting and rotting away.

ps: Women and their toys! Sheesh ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks like a convenient planting center, Yvonne. I have an old wooden potting bench that my husband built for me several years ago. I also have a Radio Flyer wagon that has seen better days. It was my main transport for bags of mulch and stuff since I am not great with a wheelbarrow. :rolleyes: Sadly, my little red wagon has many rusted spots and this year the tongue/handle rusted through. I was going to order a new one but found a website that sells replacement parts so I might order a new handle but I'm still pondering.

Yvonne Smith likes this.