Places I WANT to Live

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Mal Campbell, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this discussion, but ....

Anyway, I saw some beautiful images of Ireland online today, and being of Celtic origin, I saw a few that I'd like to call home one day!!

How about you guys, where would you like to live - if you could live anywhere, and money weren't an issue?

Baily Lighthouse, Howth Head, Dublin. I could wake up to this view every day for the rest of my life.
    ireland 1.jpg
    Dark hedges, Northern Ireland – beech tress planted by the Stuart’s in the 18th century as a lavish entryway to their manor. I can just image the stunning manor house at the end of the lane. It is a little spooky though!
    ireland 2.jpg
    Poulnabrone Dolmen, “hole of the quern stones”, portal tomb in Burren, County Clare dating to the Neolithic period. It might be a little cold and bleak here, so maybe just a place to visit and camp a few times a month.
    ireland 4.jpg
    Phoenix Park, Dublin, founded in 1662. I can just envision a 17th century cottage, with thatched roof at the end of the lane.
    ireland 5.jpg

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Active Member
    Registered

Those look like beautiful places to visit, but I think I'd feel a bit lonely living near any of them. I've lived in a city my whole life and I can't imagine living anywhere else. I've often felt I'd like to live near the sea though, but now that my Mom and I are looking for a new home I'm really finding it difficult to even consider moving half way across the city as I can't imagine going to a place where I'm not close to people I know. I guess I'm just not very adventurous.

3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's funny. I'm the exact opposite. While I enjoy visiting the city, there's no way I could ever live in one - unless of course I had endless amounts of money and could live in the huge penthouse apartment, with a rooftop swimming pool and all the amenities within the building. I'd also have to have a maid to do the shopping and a chauffeur to drive me around! While I think it would be great to have all the diversity available to me - things like restaurants, museums, shopping, culture, etc, I just don't think I could take all the noise, confusion and people.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. Michelle Stevens

Registered

I may live in a city, but I live in a quiet suburb so I don't have to face all that noise and confusion every day, though traffic jams can be a problem at times. However I'm lucky because I don't have to do most of my travelling during peak hour, so I don't encounter that traffic on a daily basis.

Living in a penthouse apartment with all those amenities would be great except for one thing - my bonsai trees are very important to me and I would have to give those up if I couldn't have a garden. That makes downsizing quite a difficult thing to do.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Although I've lived in Anaheim, Long Beach, Fullerton and Cypress, California, as well as in Brownsville, Texas, I hate large, or even medium-sized, cities. I prefer a town with fewer than a couple of thousand people. I like to know the people I come across in the store, a the gas station, or restaurant, and I absolutely hate traffic.

6. Michelle Stevens

Registered

@Ken Anderson , although I said yesterday that I can't imagine not living in a city, I probably could live in a small town as long as I could get to know the people who lived near me. I just couldn't live somewhere really isolated like the places in those photos. The most difficult part of moving to a distant place would probably be losing access to my bonsai club.

7. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Active Member
    Registered

I would love to live in Norway, US, Sweden or Germany.
    It's a total dream of mine to live in United States in Atlanta or California.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  8. Oracle May

Oracle May New Member
    Registered

I am used to the city myself and find living too far from it very inconvenient. I like to live on the outskirts of the city. I used to love living by the sea, but I had a dream that a huge wave is coming and I now want to move inland.

I would like to live in Italy, France, South America, London, Egypt, only for a while. I would not really want to settle down and stay in any one place for too long.

9. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would love to live in one of those house boats on the west coast, but unless I win the lottery that's just a pipe dream. I am considering moving to small town Oregon or
    Washington state. I'm still researching the possibilities. Leaning toward washington, they have no state income tax.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Right here, at the foot of the Tetons would be fine.
    3945f0b8aa7d606e3e48a29120e14862.jpg

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I lived in Western Washington for quite a few years, and I loved it out there ! I was about half way between Seattle and Portland, and not too far from Mt. St. Helens.
    We used to go up the backroads to some of the beautiful little valleys tucked away beneath the volcano, and it was a perfect place for camping and picniking.
    We were close to Lake Mayfield for fishing, and I used to go out in my little pedal boat and fish in the late afternoons.
    If I were going to live elsewhere than here by my daughter, I would move back to either the Washington or Oregon coast and live.

image.jpeg

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's beautiful but way out of my price range.

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Disliking the vehicular traffic of city life might very well result from the experiences of seeing first hand, the carnage it often produces. :(

14. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hmmm well that is kind of a tough one. I am not sure how I would feel about moving away from loved ones, but I would like a place where the weather is pretty good everyday maybe 75 to 80 degrees most of the year and not humid, with not tons of traffic. I am thinking somewhere like Eugene Oregon would fit the bill. I was through there very briefly on Amtrak and I thought it was attractive, clean and prosperous. I also like New Mexico, and Colorado. However, Colorado has a lot of snow...and NM has a lot of wind in most places, and can be hot. A plus for Oregon is residents they have the right to assisted suicide. Even the tropics, I could enjoy..A carribbean island might get old...but I think I would enjoy it!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've lived in the city, the suburbs, and now, kind of in a mix of the suburbs, but with rural aspects. I miss the availability of public transportation, mainly because my car needs work, but thankfully it's still running for now. If money weren't a factor, I'd probably move to Alaska, at least for a while, but possibly forever. I like the thought of settling down near Sitka, since the weather isn't as extreme. I long for a place with abundant nature, wildlife, less people, and also cleaner air. I've considered Ireland before, and that would still be a possibility, as well as Canada. I'd also like to visit Colorado at some point, it looks very beautiful, and I'm sure there are still a few parts without huge crowds. I definitely don't want to live in a huge city, although staying in one from time to time would be fine, since I love shopping and eating a variety of foods.

Ike Willis likes this.
  16. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Southern Ireland for me - definitely .......... and maybe a little villa in Italy :p YUM !

17. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

If you're familiar with that old John Denver song about going home to a place you'd never been before- kinda like that.
    When I was still in high school, my parents and I went to California to visit my brother and grandmother. At my first sight of Los Angeles, I've never wanted to be anywhere else.
    I liked coastal cities, desert, valley, but consider it my 'adopted home.'
    But for a number of reasons, I don't know if I'll ever get back there.

Yup, I like 'bright lights, big city,' large populations, and noise!! :)

Ike Willis likes this.
  18. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Wherever this place is...that's where I want to live out the rest of my life. :)

13339659_784896548276860_1184717664103202004_n.jpg

19. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt - don't blame you - magical isn't it :)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  20. Diane Lane

Registered

That looks lovely @Babs, and doesn't look as if it would be a ton of work to maintain, either. I like the idea of stumbling out to the dock with a cup of coffee and a fishing pole, with no nosy and/or loud neighbors. It looks very peaceful, and tranquility is what I crave.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  21. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

That's my thoughts exactly! :D It would get noisy when all our grandkids come...but those times are just as important as the peaceful times to this Gran Gran!

Diane Lane likes this.
  22. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, noise is definitely expected when having company, but otherwise, quiet is nice. For some reason, this neighborhood seems to be a particularly noisy one, although that didn't used to be the case. It seems newcomers have changed the place, and many aren't happy. They moved here to get away from such things, and may end up moving again. Thankfully, during the week it is somewhat quieter, so I just occupy myself with other things on the weekends, when engines are revving and tires squealing.

23. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That is a really neat pic Babs Hunt. As a funny story, there was a log cabin on my street, It was actually a manufactured home in a log cabin style. It was fairly large, about 2,000 square feet I would guesstimate. I saw them moving the parts down when it was being delivered. It took about 3 days I guess. Anyway, I walked down that way last week, and that whole house is gone!!! They obviously, moved it out and transported it somewhere else. I guess I was asleep at the switch when they did that, or was gone on a visit somewhere.

24. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

In a town of one or two thousand, or even smaller, as I prefer, you generally do get to know many of the people in town. In fact, you get to know a lot about them, and you'd be surprised how much they get to know about you. Sometimes that can be uncomfortable but, overall, I prefer it to what I have had in some places I have lived, where I didn't even know the names of the people who lived on either side of me.

When we were raising our nephew, whenever he did something wrong we'd usually learn of it before he got home. If someone in town saw him doing it, we'd get a call. For example, while the mill was running, the mill controlled the flow of water to Millinocket Stream, which runs through town. Because the water level could increase rapid when they opened the dams, parents didn't want their children to swim in Millinocket Stream. Kids, of course, preferred it to the community pool, where they'd be supervised.

Repeatedly, we'd get calls from someone telling us that our nephew was swimming in the stream, and we'd learn who he was swimming with. Then when he got home, we'd ask him where he was. He'd say the community pool, and I might tell him that it smelled more like he'd been swimming in the stream. Then, when I could tell him which part of the stream he was swimming in and name the people he was with, he'd have no idea how I could know so much about what he was doing.

So yeah, you get to know the people around you. My wife is a whole lot more sociable than I am, but I will generally recognize someone from Millinocket if I come across them in a store in Bangor or somewhere, even if I don't know their name.

You have to be careful about talking bad about someone because they person you're talking to might be related to them, or of driving rudely because you'll run into whoever else might be on the road in the store or somewhere.