Pineapple Seeds

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Shirley Martin, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I cut up a fresh pineapple today. It had seeds in it. Did you know that pineapples have seeds? That made me wonder if pineapple plants can be grown from seeds.

DSCN3951.JPG

I Binged it and they can. Who knew???? :eek:

To grow a pineapple fruit from seeds, you will need one ripe pineapple, a paper towel, a pot filled with potting soil, sunlight, warm weather and water. Finally, if you wish to grow pineapple you're going to need a hearty dose of patience, as these plants tend to take a very long time to grow and start producing fruit, sometimes up to two or three years.
    How to Grow Pineapples From Seeds | Hunker

Kate Ellery and Tony Page like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen seeds in a pineapple. I used to like to root the cut top of a pineapple; it makes a pretty potted plant and will sometimes produce another fruit.

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher , I did that once. The plant eventually became so big that I didn't have room to keep it in the house. It didn't survive our winter.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I like to root stuff and make "free" plants. I had an avocado tree that I grew from a seed that got about 6' tall and then was killed by frost. :(

Frank Sanoica and Tony Page like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Interesting, @Shirley Martin

I have done as you and Beth have done, but never gave any thought to there being seeds. I never noticed seeds in any of the pineapple I've eaten.

2-3 years is not all that long. I think asparagus takes that long (or maybe you don't harvest the first fruit so it can go to seed...I forget.) And most other fruit trees likely take just as long.

Kate Ellery and Tony Page like this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I don’t ever buy pineapple cause I’m allergic to it I get huge hives just touching one .
    That’s interesting tho @Shirley Martin
    We seen them growing in Queensland by the million , I believe they replant the tops year after year

Frank Sanoica and Beth Gallagher like this.