Pilot Was Locked Out When German Plane Crashed

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

While the authorities are still investiigating the plane crash in the French Alps; they seem to be finding more mysteries than they are solving thus far.
    Not only have they not come up with any idea of why the plane crashed; they have now discovered that at least one of the pilots was locked out of the cockpit before the plane crashed. they said that you can hear him asking to be let in and pounding on the cabin door to the cockpit, and even trying to break the door down to get back in.
    That would seem like maybe someone had taken over the cockpit, or perhaps the other pilot had a heart attack, or passed out for some unknown reason, and was not able to let the other pilot back inside.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...cockpit-crash-france-report/story?id=29911792

2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

It now appears that this was not a tragic accident, but that the co-pilot deliberately crashed the plane. There was only one pilot and a co-pilot on board. The pilot left the cockpit, presumably for a toilet break, and then found he could not get back in. The flight recorder shows that the co-pilot was still breathing while the pilot was trying to get back into the locked cockpit. He was also taking the plane down lower, so he must have been fully conscious.

The co-pilot was a 28 years old German with no known association with terrorists or any evident mental health issues. I'm sure we will be hearing a lot more about him as investigations continue.

3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

It's scary to think that we live in a world where people hate others so strongly, they are willing to kill themselves in order to do harm. I grew up, like most of you, during the Cold War. I remember the fear we had of what Russia would do - we had air raid drills in school and talked about what to do in case of nuclear attacks. But there was always the "safety valve" of mutual destruction - Russia and the US both knew that if one of them used nuclear weapons, they would be on the receiving end of the same. Neither country was willing to risk being harmed by starting a war.

But terrorists today don't care - it doesn't matter to them if we annihilate them as long as they take us out with them. How do you reason with that type of mentality?

4. Yvonne Smith

The information we are receiving about this whole plane crash disaster is not making much sense. One article that i read said that they had lost the disk out of one recorder; so it was useless, and the other one had been destroyed by the crash, or something similar to that.
    Then , oher reports say they have total audio from the flight, and could hear the pilot trying to break the door down, and people screaming as the plane went down.
    Why a depressed person would want to destroy a whole plane load of people is beyond me, too. Many people become depressed, and they just want to end their lives, but not to kill a lot of other people. There are many other ways that this man could have just quietly killed himself, if that was what he wanted to do.
    It is hard to guess what really went on; but I think there was more to it than just a depressed pilot who wanted to end his life. He had to know that the plane was full of school children, and just that fact should have deterred him from what he did.

5. Ruth Belena

Registered

In this case it was not the action of a terrorist, but it has now emerged that the co-pilot had a history of depression and was broken-hearted over the end of a relationship.

This could not have been planned in advance. The co-pilot would not have known in advance that the pilot would leave the cockpit during the flight.

It was mass murder and I'm not excusing what he did, but I think when he found himself alone he acted on impulse to put an end of his own life. He would not have been thinking of the passengers, he would be feeling all alone in the world..

It's the fault of the airline that a co-pilot was allowed to be in sole charge of the plane with no-one else present, and they should not have employed someone with a history of depression to fly planes.

Most airlines are now bringing in a regulation that there must be 2 people in the cockpit at all times during a flight and there will be pressure on them now to do more psychological testing of pilots. At present these tests take place every six months.

6. Mal Campbell

Registered

I was glad to see that it wasn't terrorism as we were first led to believe. But as someone with a history of mental illness - I'm really concerned that people will use this as an excuse to discriminate against the mentally ill.

I'm bipolar and have been since my teens. Back then it was something to be ashamed of, something to keep secret. If you did see a therapist, you never told anyone about it - you made up so lie about where you went once a week. And because it was such a shameful illness, most people never sought help.

If companies start asking about mental health, and can use that to fire you, people will stop getting the help they need. As far as giving psychological tests, anybody with a little intelligence and a willingness to lie, can pass those tests easily.

Maybe if we were more open and accepting of mental health issues, and he wasn't afraid of losing his job and career, this guy would have sought the help he needed and this tragedy could have been avoided.

Ruth Belena likes this.
  7. Ruth Belena

Registered

There are other pilots who have suffered from depression but after taking medication they have returned to work and are no longer considered to be a risk. Obviously if it's an ongoing mental health condition or is likely to return, then an airline cannot take the chance.

It does now look as if this co-pilot was hiding an illness from his employers, but it was a health condition affecting his eyesight and not related directly to his mental health.

I do agree that people should not be afraid to admit to having mental health issues. I have them myself and I do know how it feels to be suicidal. I also know it's very hard for anyone who has not felt suicidal to understand what goes through the mind at such a time, so it's not something that gets discussed.

8. Yvonne Smith

It appears that they are now saying that the co-pilot was on the SSRI mind-altering drugs, which is what has been found in all of the cases where the person has just seemed to go crazy and start killing people, or some other erratic behavior, such as they think that this pilot did.

When you look at the pictures of where the plane crashed, there is debris all over the mountainside, but no crater from where the plane smashed into the mountain, and all the debris seems to be in the little gulleys where snow runoff is, and not like you would expect to see from a plane crash.
    One of the really WEIRD coincidences of this is about the co-pilot. His name is Andeas, and they show the picture of him sitting near the Golden Gate bridge, which is by the San Andreas Fault, and so now we have an airline tradgedy that is "Andrea's fault" , according to the news.
    If I were a "conspiracy nut", I would wonder about this........

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It seems that Andeas set the auto pilot to descend to 100 feet.

10. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

It was a sad event for sure and unfortunately, no matter what the reason, it will occur from time to time. With all of the technology we now have I wonder why, in certain cases, there is not a "remote control" device that would be activated during certain critical situations when it is deemed that there is a personnel problem in the cockpit and a crew on the ground could take over.

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

This is so true. When there a drones that can fly over a war zone or such from the U.S. to other countries remotely.

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I disagree,I think there would be more accidents flying passenger planes by remote control.

13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess another way to look at this is if a person would safer knowing that if something did go amiss an airplane the remote access would be in place hopefully for a safer landing?

Richard Paradon likes this.
  14. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I am not talking about normal flying conditions, Joe, but if you are on a plane that is going down because of similar conditions you would not want a remote team on the ground to take you to safety?

15. Mal Campbell

Registered

I'm sorry, but I can't let this go. Please don't think that I'm picking on you, Yvonne, but I see this impression of mental illness all the time and I have to respond. SSRIs are not "mind-altering" drugs, they are anti-depressants. One of the very remote side effects of SSRIs is suicidal thoughts, but these occur only in the first few weeks of taking the drugs, and mostly only in children. The report I read (which may or may not be correct) said that the pilot had been prescribed the drugs in 2009.

I have a huge problem with taking away my medical privacy. Let me paint a picture for you. Suppose your husband of 30 years dies suddenly. Like any "sane" person, you are grieving and depressed. You go to the doctor and tell him how hard it is, how much pain you're in and that life just doesn't seem worth living without your beloved, best friend. He, correctly, prescribes an anti-depressant (in this case, most likely an SSRI, as they are the first drugs doctors try and are the most effective, with the least side effects). You take the drugs for 6 months, your depression gets much better, your grieving is lessening and you start to feel much better, so you stop taking the drugs.

Here's the rub - you are now, and forever, labelled - MENTALLY ILL WITH SUICIDAL IDEATIONS. Your doctor, because the law now says he has to report you, calls your employer. Your employer, afraid that you'll go postal and kill your co-workers, fires you. Because it's on your permanent record, "Mentally ill with suicidal ideations", you will never get another job. After all, you've been on mind-altering drugs, you've said that life isn't worth living and lord knows, you crazy people love to take others with you when you commit suicide. And because there's no privacy anymore, the nurse tells her friends who just happen to know you and your family and neighbors, so now everyone knows you're that crazy, suicidal woman.

Is that the world you want to live in? Are you willing to give up your privacy on the very remote chance that someone might someday kill someone?

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the rate of antidepressant use in this country has increased 400% between 1994 and 2008. It also states that 23% of women in their 40s and 50s take antidepressants and overall, 1 in 10 people in the US are on antidepressants. Should all of those people potentially lose their jobs and careers? Should they all be labeled "mentally ill" and have to carry the burden that comes with that diagnosis?

Reporting mental illness will literally take us back 100 years, when women were committed to asylums because they were going through menopause - men were hospitalized because they masturbated, children were institutionalized because they were autistic.