Pictures From The Park

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Diane Lane, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

These are just a few of the pictures I took while I was at the local park the other day. I hadn't been there in a while, probably a few years at least, and it's changed somewhat, with the vegetation growing up around the wooden walkways. Although the plants are pretty, I didn't see any great egrets or great herons wading, which I used to see all the time when I would visit the park. bayou and vegetation small.jpg bayou edge small.jpg bayou small.jpg driving small.jpg moss in tree small.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Diane Lane

Registered

For some reason, the pampas grass picture isn't showing, although it's showing at the bottom of my post. I'll repost it here, hopefully then it will show up in the thread. I love how they look like huge feathers. There is some of it over here near when I live, up by the water, and it blows around quite a bit when the breeze/wind comes off the gulf. pampas grass small.jpg

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

You live in a very pretty area, @Diane Lane ....guess it helps in putting up with your neighbors.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks @Chrissy Cross, it used to help, before this lot moved in. The guy next door still has his old huge TV sitting on the front lawn. I don't know why. The trash has been here and gone a few times, and it's been out there in the rain. There's definitely a girl (or woman, actually) there, plus one or two extra kids besides the tenant's son, and now at least 3 dogs.

This park is over by a refuge. I used to be there all of the time, but don't get there much these days. The scenery's similar to over here where I live, although we have the small beach here. I used to go to that park to relax, especially during exams. Seeing the fish jump and birds wading would help me to calm down.

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is a beautiful park, and some awesome pictures, @Diane Lane ! I love the pampas grass, too, and the moss hanging from the trees looks like something about of a spooky movie. Is that what they call spanish moss, or is this something else ?
    Also, I remember you telling us there were alligators nearby where you live, and that made me wonder if this is where they are sighted now and then ?

6. Diane Lane

Registered

It is called spanish moss, although I recall reading that it's not actually moss. Do they have it where you live @Yvonne Smith? I thought it was prevalent throughout the south, but I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time ;):p. Yes, the alligators are found pretty much throughout this whole region. They're more common down here by the coast, but are also found west of here, as well. There are more of them as you head east towards Louisiana, but one of the places where you're pretty much guaranteed to see one is Brazos Bend State Park. There are alligator warning signs in many of the parks here, but you still hear about pets being eaten or attacked, and there's also sometimes a rare attack on a person.

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If we have it here, I don't think that I have ever seen any. We do have the kudzu, which spreads everywhere. I haven't seen any near here, but I have seen large patches of kudzu when I was driving someplace and we passed some. The blossoms on kudzu are beautiful, and the plant leaves are edible. It is a shame that it has gotten so far out of control down in the South.
    Here is an article and some pictures for those on the forum who have never heard of this invasive plant.
    http://www.lawn-care-academy.com/kudzu-plant.html

Ina I. Wonder likes this.