Pictures Around Our Homes And Yards

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Yvonne Smith, May 10, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson It was just the wording that made me think it was mounted in the driveway. Some here have them on each corner of their property. I would love to have night vision cameras mounted here, but mainly so I could see the deer and other critters walking by. However, I would also use them for surveillance of thieves if need be. I'd like to get some motion activated lights eventually, as well. A neighbor actually disengaged hers, because the small creatures (coons, possums, armadillo, etc.) were setting them off so frequently. Does the removal of the balusters mean the yard is less secure? Some people here have the high privacy fences, which is what I have around the yard, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, they're not in the greatest shape. Some have chain link fences instead, and others have nothing. It's just a matter of preference. We have the thieves here, as well. Mostly, they're kids trying to come up with money for the things they want to buy, but some are also professionals stealing yard equipment, golf carts, etc.

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane, the baluster is just a decorative barrier that divides the concrete garden and the driveway. No, it is not related to security. But since you mentioned CCTV, I am not contemplating on bringing up the subject to my husband again. We already had plans before but did not pursue because of the cost. But now I know that CCTV systems are quite cheap and easier to install. There's actually a do-it-yourself installation as per the advertisement of one CCTV brand. And like you, maybe we can capture some creatures with the 24/7 camera but I think it would mostly be toads.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

Oh o.k., I thought it was a barrier, like a concrete wall. There have been some crimes solved locally (next towns over) by the use of pictures or videos taken from/with CCTVs. Usually the quality is poor, but some people have money for top of the line systems, and it's amazing, like watching a television show or movie, and those are the perpetrators who are often caught. The footage/pictures are usually turned over to the police, and they post them on the news, as well as social media. You're right, the systems have definitely come down in price. Unfortunately, they're still out of my price range, but i still dream about having one someday :). For now, we don't have the level of crime seen in the next few towns over (closer to Houston), but it does seem to be encroaching on this area.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Veteran Member
    Registered

IMG_1813.JPG We have suffered another nasty storm in the last couple of days ,we were without power for 12 hours and here is a link to show why ..http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-29/transmission-tower-bent-over-in-south-australia/7890674..

Here is a photo I took today of the street where I live ,we are in spring but we must be mistaken :p:D because it was 10c today ..it's more like the middle of winter than spring ..it should be in mid 20's somehow I think the weather man forgot our spring and summer :p:Dand plunged us back in mid winter ..The photo of the area is normally dry ,it's designed to catch storm water which runs out to sea not far from the catchment area ..The local council has been here several times today pumping water out as it couldn't get away quick enough to prevent flooding ( We live in the driest state in Australia ) so this type of wet weather is very unusual for us.We have exceeded double the normal rainfall this year ..
    I took this at lunch time 12 noon it but it looks more like evening ..

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A couple of areas are graced with these tall flowers in my backyard. I planted only four last year and these two areas have become my vocal point this year. I'm excited to see the effect once they are all in bloom. Now the tiny flowers look like snowflakes. These are the photos 1-3.

Amongst the hosta patch are two either Everlastings or Forever plants I'm not sure which.

The honeysuckle trees are transforming showing the red berries. The squirrels stay away from these, I wonder why.

Attached Files:

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

IMG_6130.JPG It's RAINING ☔️ in Fresno. This is a pic I took standing at my front door.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I want to post some pictures if the leaves ever change, because it can be stunning around here when they do. However, we haven't had much rain, nor have we had a real frost so the color is still minimal. Sadly, we have had some yellows which turn to brown and drop off. I just wish it was a good year for leaves. I guess we might have some color sometime! They said on the news the peak leaf time should be around Novemeber 5th, but I don't think so...It is going to be close to 80 again this weekend!

Diane Lane and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

I hope you do get some good color and post pics of it @K E Gordon. I definitely miss that about up north. It seems some years the colors aren't as vibrant, depending on the level of rainfall and also the temperatures. We don't get much color down here, but there are a few trees here and there that will brighten up the landscape. I haven't seen any so far this year, though. It seems the leaves are on the trees longer this year. I've swept the driveway about 3 times, but there are still quite a few leaves on them, and I know I'll be doing it again soon.

9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane you should pick yourself up a $20. leaf blower. I got one at Home Depot for $19.99. It's much easier to use than broom, and quicker too. But try to pick one that isn't too loud.

Izzy will stand very still so I can blow his hair all around. It must feel good, because when he get stuff all in his coat he will jump at the leaf blower to remind me that he needs cleaning before he goes back into the house. And even weirder, is he likes to go to the doggy groomer once a month.

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

You're right Ina, it's much easier than a rake or a broom, we have one...but OMG, the Noise!!! I can't stand it, so I end up using the rake :rolleyes:

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I have one and his name is Alfonso. Don't know how loud he is because Pickles barks the full hour he's here.

Holly Saunders and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Registered

Our autumn landscape where I live.. I took these pics just as the sun was going down....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

The village grocery store in a neighbouring village

[​IMG]

the little bridge over the stream in the woods

[​IMG]

a duck ( one of many) in the village pond

[​IMG]

Autumn on the nearby river....

[​IMG]

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Love the grocery store...so European. :) I miss those.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Registered

The nature park and lagoon in the next village..

[​IMG]

The rear and cemetery of tiny Our village church , it dates from the 11th century...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  16. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

IMG_0411.JPG What a wonderful little church. We have nothing to compare it to. I'm not a church going person, but for some reason, I really like seeing churches. :rolleyes:

I know I posted this picture before, but I think a picture of my home belongs here too. The closer I get to selling it, the more I dread not waking up in this old place. I know it's not old in many places, but in Texas it is.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  17. Holly Saunders

Registered

It's such a pretty little cedar wood house Ina, I'm not surprised you're so attached to it..

18. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

It's a lot bigger than it looks Holly. It is just over 2000 sq ft. My bedroom alone is around 20'x28'.

19. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes I remember you telling us before..and I've seen the pictures of your bedroom...which is the same size as my livingroom...:D

20. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's about the size of my house too, Ina. My bedroom is pretty big too...almost as big as my living room.

Don't spend any time in either except to sleep at night in my bedroom. Spend my day in the smallest room in the house which is really the 4th bedroom but I have a tv, my recliner and a desk with a computer in there. It's also next to the kitchen and the only bedroom on this side of the house, the other 3 are all on the other side.

21. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

My house is the oldest structure for miles around, and it is the smallest in the neighborhood. Now that I've sold the surrounding property, home, and barn, the 2/3's acer left with this old log cabin seems to have attracted several buyers.

I did have it on the market for a couple months this time last year, but I got sick, and I took it off the market because I didn't want to move while ill.

Even after I took it off, people were leaving notes in my mail box, and on the windshield of my car,

So I'm going to try again for the first of the new year. I'm really having a hard time seeing myself elsewhere, and even harder invisioning myself in a trailer home. But I know it's for the best. :(

Chrissy Cross likes this.