Physical Changes As We Age

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just a small query Cody. What did your physical therapist prescribe to you regarding exercise?

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I got physical therapy for each shoulder and for the hip, at a physical therapy center as well as doing some at home. But, after I got my FROM back, in the shoulders, I stopped doing the small hand weights and rubber band door stretches at home.

Bobby, we do get exercise, but neither of us are into what you are and definitely not into what my half-brother and his wife do.

3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Note Cody. I have never written that every senior needs to be a senior bodybuilder like myself nor even go out and do some of the things we did when we were in our 20’s or even 30’s or 40’s.
    What I am definitely writing is that upon seeing what I see at the VA ,the doctor’s office and even at Walmart versus what I see at the gym is so stark and in your face that Not adopting a good regimen of exercise is not an option.

When I see seniors at the gym who first come in with canes and walkers and some can barely breathe and carry a tank with them adapt to a regimen of light exercise and then suddenly they’re coming in the gym without walkers and canes and in one case, sans his air machine, I have no doubt that physical exercise / therapy works.

One more note: I’ve already written about what condition my body was in just 5 years ago. I was dying and even my VA doctor was amazed when I didn’t and by all accounts, I should have.
    Now, my present civilian doctor told me the other day that he’s rarely seen someone my age in such good health and build and my VA doctor still tells me she can’t get over the transformation.

The bottom line is that it’s a given that we’re going to get older but we do not have to allow age to beat us up so quickly, if at all.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Dwight Ward and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Remember, Bobby, we do have a 20 foot powerboat, work on it and use it. I took both batteries out on Sunday, to recharge, and put back in yesterday. My wife waxes the boat. So, believe me, we do get exercise, just not the gym, fitness center, at-home work type. Really can't do any kind of "at-home" work when renting an apartment.

Those seniors who don't want to join a gym/fitness center (for whatever reasons) and don't own/live in a house, have to find other ways to get exercise daily. There are things this summer we can not do, due to this virus thing, but boating isn't one of them. However, getting enough rest at night and having the weather right, can limit getting a boat out also. We've had to encounter both of these lately.

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

And again, I’ve never said that everyone has to go to the gym. I use it as a point of observation.
    Look, you have your life to live and no one but you decides how you wish to spend your time or how you face the stages of getting older.

To be absolutely truthful, I have never written that you have to do anything at all. How we age is a personal choice and not necessarily left to chance.
    As far as being in an apartment goes, that space is yours to do with whatever you want. Yoga comes to mind but ya don’t even have to entertain that thought.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Eosinl
    Eosinophilic fittastas...never can spell that last word. Auromme disease..either viral , bacterial or by injury. Granted something else may have helped caused the inflammation in my body. Doctor says mine clearly due to injury.
    From neck to stomach .
    .some on toes.
    Markers in blood was 4x times the normal
    amount.
    I was not even doing anything hard or for a long time. The nerves and muscles become very swollen then shrink and its like carpal tunnel in your whole body.
    Arms and legs usually affected the most.
    Anyway it very rare to happen.
    However Bobby at one time I had something similiar in both feet ..but at differnt times.
    I always get weird stuff:eek:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I’d say you have a few problems Gloria!
    Call it coincidence, good timing or whatever but I’ve been performing a study on the fascia for about a year now.
    Up until around 15 or so years ago, the fascia wasn’t considered that important and in the operating room some surgeons simply cast it off as a sort of flotsam as it were. Yes, they have known for a long time that it covers the nerves and separates the muscles into their individual groups but the overall importance still hasn’t been fully explored.

Now, especially in the field of physical therapy where strains, sprains and torn muscles are concerned the fascia is treated along with the maladies. Matter of fact, I have a type of massage roller that is especially made to cause the fascia to separate and relax thereby allowing a triggered muscle to release.

Now, the reason I wrote, “good timing” is because the link you provided fits right in with my studies. I didn’t know for instance that corticosteroids were used to combat problems associated with the fascia. I guess there’s a good reason for that because I always treat many of my studies like building a house. First I find out how the house is built then I research the ways to keep it maintained and then how to fix what gets broken.
    All in all, even though I know you’re uncomfortable and probably suffering from some pain, I do thank you for whetting my appetite for yet another aspect of my studies.

May God Bless

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Bobby Cole ..thank you..it took me six months to get a diagnosis. I am much better than I was since seeing this doctor.
    Presidone that he has me on causes of course other issues.
    Right now trying to get rid of moon face..and caused Thrush in mouth...medicine for that.
    Pain is on arms and hands...much cramping and snarling of hands. Braces do help.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Viewing how much is still unknown about fascia tissue, I think you’re probably lucky you got the diagnosis when you did.
    I don’t know if you’d be interested but when I first started getting information it was because I was looking for better ways to get a knot out of a muscle on YouTube and bumped into fascia therapy.
    I watched a lot of vids about muscle and nerve fascia and although I’ve gone way beyond what is shown on YouTube, there’s some great stuff about it and I have to admit, if it wasn’t for a couple of those videos I wouldn’t have gotten my fascia rollers. I really don’t know how I got along without them now.

11. Joan Kuper

Joan Kuper Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

12. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

For the aging body, use it or loose it. As for it's appearance, I don't want to talk about it.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember hitching through Utah. No rides, no good place to stop without the staties hassling me, so I just walked down the interstate all day under the hot, hot Utah sun with my 80 lb. backpack. It didn't seem to bother me at all.
    Trevallus, who can do all the things they want, even when young? I've suffered a lot in the last two years and sometimes thought about suicide but I doubt I'll ever do it. There are still a lot of things to look forward to. Hang in there.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Don't you dare !

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well you can just forget that, mister. You are one of the Over the Hill Gang now, and we don't let people off the hook so easily. :p