Photo Posting And Sizing

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Faye Fox, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I find it hard to view and slow scrolling when photos are posted full size and take up the entire width of the forum box. I understand that it would be a hassle and an expense for Ken to offer a feature on the post image link that would automatically resize photos into an easier to view but also a size that didn't take up so much forum space.

I might suggest that anyone posting photos, find a free online photo site that offers to resize. Yes, it takes time, a few seconds, but I think makes the forum easier to view and threads easier to scroll. If you use your cell phone, most offer a resize with their share feature. Small or medium are good choices for forum use.

I realize we are all old and time is of the essence, but our taking a moment to downsize might save several others time scrolling and viewing, plus generate more interest in your photo and post.

Ed Wilson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is difficult, especially when more than one photo is posted, I agree, @Faye Fox . I usually put my photos through a free photo editor before i post them, and my iPad always gives me a choice of sizes to post. Unless it is something that has to be read, and has small print, I usually post in medium or even small size.
    Here is the photo editor that I use, and probably the same one (or something similar) is also available for other model phones or tablets.

I try to delete the extra photos when I notice that someone has posted more than one copy of the same photo, too.

71337B38-991B-4D54-8EB9-7237CE687C80.jpeg

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

My windows 8.1 PC has a photo viewer which will resize if you click on "Paint". A recommended pixel size should be suggested / recommended like 600 X 600.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

If you right-click on an open photo in Windows 10, one option is to resize. You can then save a copy or replace the original.

Samuel Ginsberg and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I commented before that running through an Editor will prevent the sideways posting that some iPhone users experience. For those on slow, finite internet like me, resizing also greatly reduces the size (in Mb) of the photos, making the pages load faster and not chewing up as much of my monthly high-speed allotment. I always reduce mine from 4mb to about 650kb (about 15% of the original size.) If there are 6 photos on a page, that saves 20mb of bandwidth and loading time.

Larger, full-resolution photos exceed the resolution of our monitors. Smaller files display just as good.

That being said, not everyone has the skills to do this.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Most computer operating systems include an app that will do that. Generally, this would be the default app used to display a photo. Another option, that I use a lot, is to post photos using the thumbnail option, which allows those who are interested in viewing them to do so, but without taking up a lot of space in the post field. When I am posting only one photo, I don't usually do that but when I am posting more than one, I do. I usually post photos in either 800 or 1000 pixel widths.