Photo Album

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Corie Henson, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you still make photo albums now that almost all photos are digital already? When we were using our instamatic camera, we would always have the 24 shots of film developed and printed in snapshot size to fill an album that we label with proper identification.

But I noticed that now we never bother to have photos printed and the only recourse is to post in social media or give a copy via the USB drive. Things have changed but not for the better. It is still nice to view photos inside a photo album.

Holly Saunders and Tom Locke like this.
  2. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I've got masses of photo albums and I still get my photos developed when I've returned from a trip. I think that people like looking at printed photos - there's something more personal about flicking through a pile of pictures than viewing something on a computer screen.

Of course, it can depend on how many you take. A friend of mine went to the Far East and took about 3,000 photos, which is a bit much to have printed. I never take that many. When I went to Russia last year, I took about 160, which is just about right for slotting into an album.

3. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I was never very good about keeping photo albums, even when I did get my photos printed. Most of those photos are still sitting in the envelopes the labs put them in, and I haven't looked at them for years.

I very rarely get photos printed now. I take far too many for that and can identify with @Tom Locke 's friend who took 3,000 photos on a trip to the Far East. I carry a camera everywhere I go, though I don't always use it. But on a fairly ordinary day out I can easily take more than 100 photos if something captures my attention. I couldn't even begin to guess how many photos I've got stored on my computer and external hard drives.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Tom Locke, we used to have our trip's photos printed to be compiled in albums even if our camera was already digital. However, when our last albums were printed and house guests didn't bother to even open them, we had changed our policy towards printed photos. Imagine, those house guests were busy with their phones in accessing their social media accounts. That means we should have just posted those albums in our social media account so they would see. Well, there's now a paradigm shift in the culture as an effect of technology.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

No I don't keep paper photo albums anymore...well apart from the ones from yesteryear, and I spent a few days last year scanning them all into my computer and adding them digitally to my online picture albums and to my external HD .

I can't bring myself to get rid of the albums and original photos..I'll keep them forever, even tho' I know my kids won't want them when I leave this mortal coil *sigh*

I think I'll ask for my External HD to be buried with me LOL

6. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife made photo albums for all of our 6 children from birth through high school..She has started some for our grandchildren but not much going in them unless we get pictures from our children..

I use to transfer photos to CD and give the kids a copy at Christmas. No longer do that as they no longer have or use a desktop..

I save photos on USB but I fell that no one will care after I am gone..It is sad that paper pictures are becoming a thing of the past..All pictures seem to be on smart phones of social media!!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a Swiss army medical equipment locker crammed full of loose photos and albums. A big cardboard carton holds the overflow. I found lots of interesting stuff in my parents stash of old photos. Birth certificates, diplomas, my Slovak granddad's citizenship certificate, very old wedding photos etc.

8. Ken N Louis

Registered

I spent many hours using our scanner to copy old photos to my desktop and then to CDs and USBs..

Ike Willis likes this.
  9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to have a scanner. Wish I had one now.

10. Ken N Louis

Registered

Very cheap now days as everyone got away from desktops..

Our HP Scanner has a slot to put the memory card from my camera into it and the pictures display, on my desktop, and I can copy and paste them.. bananapowerslide.gif

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a closet full of old photos. My folks took pictures of everything. But alas, I have succumbed to the digital age for my photos. Once a year, I get out the old pictures and enjoy them all over again, except those that the dog chewed up.

Holly Saunders and Ike Willis like this.