Perfect Sisters

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chrissy Cross, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

watched this true story on Netflix. Two sisters aged 17 and 18 kill their alcoholic mother. They get 10 years because their minors and got out on probation after only about 3 years...I was shocked at that!

Yes, they had a not so great childhood but I've heard of worse...no reason to kill your mother! I kind of gave the story away but I'm really only posting it because I'm so upset at the ending.

Perfect Sisters (released in the UK as Deadly Sisters)[3] is a 2014 Canadian crimedrama film directed by Stanley M. Brooks. It stars Abigail Breslin and Georgie Henley. The film was released on April 11, 2014, and was based on the novel The Class Project: How to Kill a Mother, which itself was based on the real-life murder of Linda Andersen.

Here is info on the real story....

Murder of Linda Andersen
    Linda Andersen (April 15, 1959 – January 18, 2003) was the victim of premeditated murder by her two teenage daughters, Sandra and Elizabeth Andersen, on January 18, 2003 in Mississauga, Ontario.[1] The names Linda, Sandra and Elizabeth Andersen are aliases created by Bob Mitchell in an effort to protect their identities. The girls' real names were put under a publication ban by the crown at the time because they were under 18 at the time of the murder.

Linda Andersen's murder case was broadcast on the television series Deadly Women in 2010, and was the subject of Bob Mitchell's book The Class Project: How to Kill a Mother: The True Story of Canada's Infamous Bathtub Girls. Additionally a crime drama film based on the murder of Linda Andersen, Perfect Sisters, went into limited release in 2014

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

I just saw the trailer. is there also an abusive man here??

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

The alcoholic mother had a string of abusive boyfriends @Gary Ridenour.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know the story at all, but 'abuse' can tip someone over the edge
    On the little I do know, these girls should have been taken from the Mother, then maybe, their memories
    would have been sweeter and not harrowing

5. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

It sent shockwaves through Canada at the time. The courts seem to gloss over murder when it is committed under trying circumstances but in my opinion murder is murder and should be treated as such. There were other options open to these girls.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, and in the movie the mother didn't seem like a horrible person...just an alcoholic that made poor choices, especially with men.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, i just saw the movie so don't know the actual circumstances but it wasn't the mother that was abusive...she just wasn't a good mother since she was an alcoholic.

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

The problem with that Chrissy, is you don't know what the fellas got up to with them girls as well as their
    Mother - they should have been taken from her - at least till the Mother got help

@Chrissy Cross

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Missy Lee - that's simple, cut and dried - very rarely is in these cases though
    If they didn't suffer abuse, that 'is' different - if they did suffer abuse, they did have a case for mental instability
    and in my book the sentence would have been to help them

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Some abuse was mentioned from the boyfriends. It was suggested in the film and one boyfriend slapped a younger stepbrother but it didn't show the mother hurting her girls except for the alcoholism.

She did try her best to stay sober but failed and in the movie I got the impression she really did love her children.

It wasn't your typical horribly abused children scenario...at least not in the movie.

I think the one girl called some social services to complain but when they said their mother didn't abuse them and some "no" answers to other questions the social worker said she couldn't do anything....

I'm not making excuses for the mother and I only saw the movie, don't know anything about the actual case but to me their murdering their mother was not justified and they got off to easily.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Maybe it was unjustified in this case

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have not watched the documentary; but what it says about the murder in Wikipedia certainly makes it sound like a premeditated murder that was committed by the girls for the life insurance they expected to receive, and not because their life was so terrible that they didn't see any other way to escape from an abusive situation.
    In any case, I think that to kill their mother was not the only choice they could have made. The mother was apparently working two jobs trying to make ends meet and take care of the three children; but the girls wanted expensive clothes and a swimming pool like some of their friends had, according to the Wikipedia article. It would appear that she was at least trying to be a good mother, even if she was struggling with alcohol addiction.
    Since they spent time planning how to best kill their mother and get away with the crime , as well as how they would spend the insurance money (European vacation, new house, and new clothes); they were not that concerned with escaping from abuse at home.

Chrissy Cross and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yep - looked it up too
    Amazed at the sentence in this case

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Like I said I only saw the movie and obviously movies aren't too factual even true story ones. In the movie I kind of felt sorry for the mom, she was trying her best even though she failed miserably...I got the sense she really loved her children.

The girls in the movie came off as very unlikeable to me, but don't know what the real girls were like. In any case, I hope they got some mental help while in jail for that short time.

At the end of the movie after the credits it said that the girls were released in 2009 and 2010 I think and that the one was going to a University where she planned on becoming a lawyer.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

That's ironic isn't it ...