People, These Days

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I thought I'd start a thread for rude encounters, things that people do that leave you wondering whatever happened to manners and civility. I'll start out with a couple having to do with lines.

The McDonalds drive-through has a sign saying that those who are having trouble hearing the order speaker can drive up to the pay window and order there. Now, I would think that this would mean that you should at least try the order window or, in the event that you know you are going to have trouble hearing the speaker, you would at least wait in line like everyone else.

Instead, as I drive up to the order window after having waited in line behind a few other people, with others behind me, someone passes everyone on the right and cuts into l line ahead of me to drive up the pay window, where he took at least five minutes both ordering and paying, while everyone else waited.

Now, if that is acceptable, then it would be in everyone's best interests to have trouble hearing the speaker, and we can all skip the order speaker altogether.

The other has to do with grocery lines. I went in to the grocery store for four items. However, there is someone in line at the 14-items-or-less counter with a half a cart full of stuff. As they always do, the woman at the check-out counter takes her groceries anyhow, while everyone with fourteen items or less waits behind. Then, after she has paid for her half a cart full of groceries, she makes everyone waits while she continues her conversation with the cashier and slowly puts things away in her purse.

I've always thought there should be a setting on the cash registers at such counters that limits the number of items they can take, since that wouldn't put the cashier in the uncomfortable position of having to tell someone that they have too many items, since they could simply explain that the cash register won't accept more than fourteen items, or whatever limit they set.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

one mickie D's is to expensive for me

two i shop online for food now and pick it up outside. i haven't been in a store for mons

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson In Phoenix, someone "cutting into line" at a drive-up window would likely be shot, at the least, quartered at the worst. No matter how ya cut it, a totally-armed society appears to remain a most courteous society. Nobody cuts in there.

Diane Lane and Ike Willis like this.
  4. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

Yikes. Remind me to avoid MickeyD's in Phoenix. Personally, as a Canuck, I find shooting someone for cutting in rude in the extreme, to say nothing of overkill. Lol.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a cart full at walmart and was waiting in line at the register. The fast lane was empty so the cashier over there told me to come over there. I said no thanks, knowing as soon as I started unloading the cart someone
    with a couple of items would come along. I would then be the one blamed for being rude. :( Or in some cases getting shot.:eek:

6. Ken Anderson

You Canadians are way too sensitive.

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The end of the line....time to check out!:eek:
    [​IMG]

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a different breed of people today
    I'm a bit lost amongst them
    When I smile, I expect a smile back, not too much to ask is it :( :oops: :D

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

:)

Patsy Faye, Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

:)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Thanks for the smiles - feel better now :D

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The word "courtesy" is gone in many places today. But, it can still be found in small farming/ranching areas of certain states.
    As far as smiling at people, and having them smile back........just depends on where a person lives. Most people get shocked when wife and/or I talk to someone we don't know. There is so much crime that goes on today, people really don't trust talking to others, let alone smiling at each other. However, again, in the small farming/ranching communities across America, a person can still find "friendliness". But, at the same time, people who don't know farming or ranching are easily noticed by those that do it.
    I remember one time in So. California, I was leaving a Post Office and said "good morning" to someone going into it. I got no response, not even a nod. I turned around quickly and said "excuse me, but I said good morning and you didn't say a thing." The persons stopped, turned around and looked at me and said "how long have you lived here? We don't say things like that here, because we don't know you. If you want someone to acknowledge your "good morning", go to a restaurant and I'm sure a waitress will." Normally, I would have had a "come-back" statement for that, but I let it go. The person turned and went into the Post Office.

And, don't even think about saying the word "mame" to ladies in some states. It is a respectful word, but to many woman, it's disrespectful. "I'm not an old lady" is what I was told in So. California.

Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, I'd have been irritated under both of those circumstances, @Ken Anderson, but then again, it doesn't take much to irritate me these days. My patience level seem to equate with how I'm feeling. I will occasionally slip a few extra items on the cashier line, but usually only those that can be quickly scanned, such as perhaps 2 extra cans of cat food, etc., definitely not as some do, with items that will cause issues.

I had that experience a few weeks ago. I felt deathly ill, but had no choice to run to the store for a few items. As luck would have it, I got stuck behind a woman who had way too many items for that lane, and she saw the line growing behind her, yet persisted in purchasing some obscure vegetable or spice that no one was familiar with, that didn't even come up in a product search. It took 3 employees to finally decide to just give it to her for free, since they couldn't locate a price. In that case, with the line growing behind me, I would have either said to forget it, or asked if I could cash out the rest of my purchases and take that one item to the customer service booth to have the situation remedied.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  14. Ken Anderson

My wife gets upset with me but I left the store once, leaving everything I had intended to buy in the cart. I was waiting in a fairly long line with a cart full of groceries when the cashier told the person behind me that she could go ahead of me because she only had a few things. Now, had I noticed that the woman behind me had only a few things, I might have offered to let her go ahead but I didn't much like having someone else make that decision for me, and she could have gone to the 14-items-or-less counter anyhow. As it was, she seemed to be a friend of the cashier because they set right in to talking about family stuff, and that's probably why she went to that counter. I just left my cart there, and went to the other store across the street. I didn't go back to that store for months. Fortunately, we do have two grocery stores.

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

Self service till :eek: I don't like them, won't use them again
    Some robot talks nonsense at you and as I've noticed too often, people need help because there is usually a problem that needs assistance
    Not a good idea
    Over here they start scanning yer goods before you've finished unloading and you end up with a pile at the end, then the cashier has to sit while you pack yer goods and they 'don't like that' - the decent thing to do is let you unload 'then' swipe the goods through
    Well I tell them - leave that, I'm not at the other end yet am I :p