People Aged 65 To 79 'happiest Of All', Study Suggests

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Terry Page, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

My experience of life bears out this result, but I also feel good health has a large influence, what do you think? Though I guess a lot of you may not yet be 65 :rolleyes:

Sixty-five to 79 is the happiest age group for adults, according to Office for National Statistics research.
    The survey of more than 300,000 adults across the UK found life satisfaction, happiness and feeling life was worthwhile all peaked in that age bracket, but declined in the over-80s.

article here

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh Terry! Thank you for posting this... it gives me hope! Seriously! :) I have a while yet to go until 65... or even 60, but I'll tell ya, I've had a terrible time of "coming to grips" with the number when 50 rolled around. It hasn't left me since... but this is very good to hear!

The health aspect... yes, I'd suspect good health has a lot to do with it... and that over 80s data... we won't think about that, okay? :eek:

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Terry Page

Registered

I hope to disprove the over 80s data Mari, now it's becoming dangerously close, as the weeks/months/years seem to be running away :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Sheldon Scott and Mari North like this.
  4. Mari North

Registered

Excellent! I'll have you know, I have a memory like an elephant :) and I *will* remember you said this... so that when you're telling us the wonders of being 80 and jetting to even more remote corners of the planet, I'll remind us of this conversation and look forward to the number myself! Well, maybe I shouldn't get so over-exuberant... I'll have to deal with 60 first! :rolleyes:

And I expect a REALLY huge 80th birthday party bash to be thrown for you with invitations to us all... complete with chocolate cake and sushi. :eek:

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Terry Page

Registered

Chocolate fish cake doesn't sound good to me Mari though it looks ok :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Ike Willis and Mari North like this.
  6. Mari North

Registered

:D Oh my, that is so wonderful! That looks a whole lot better than eating them separately as I've been doing... I've missed out on so much! There's even wasabi and ginger. You sure do know how to throw a party, @Terry Page !

I'm heading out for groceries now to beat the Saturday crowds... think I should ask about one of these at the bakery?! :)

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Terry Page

Registered

I would think they are only to order being for the discerning few :rolleyes:

8. Terry Page

Registered

There is another bit of encouraging information they missed off the article:

Those aged 90 and over reported higher life satisfaction and happiness compared with people in their middle years.

9. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Silly me... Duplicate post here ....
    (I had put this reply in the wrong thread somehow!)

So, 65 to 79 .... happy!
    Over 90 ... happy!

79-89 not the best of times ???:oops:

There used to be a TV show back in the 1950's in the states called Life Begins at 80 ... although back then maybe 80 was probably today's 90-100 ... lol

Terry Page likes this.
  10. Terry Page

Registered

Bonnie I think the decade 79 - 89 is when you have your last mid-life crises before enjoying your dotage :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Bonnie Thomas and Mari North like this.
  11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm in that age group and I'm happy.

Terry Page likes this.
  12. Terry Page

Registered

That's good to hear Sheldon I will join you in a few years hopefully. :)

[​IMG]

Pat Baker and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

The happiest age group is 65 to 79, huh. That's good news for us because we can see some rainbow after all. But that's quite sad for the 80s because they tend to decline. Speaking of longevity, my husband and I have been talking some days ago that it is good to reach 100 years but with a good health. He is referring to my mother who at 82 is wheelchair bound, couldn't walk, couldn't take care of herself, worse, she could not speak properly. I agree that what good is longevity if you are not healthy anymore. I find my mother's condition real suffering and sometimes I pray that she gets the final rest.

Sorry about that. With the age bracket that is the happiest, I'm still far from it but my husband is already nearing the edges. However, I think he is happy as a senior with the discounts and privileges he gets.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

That Study would be fine if, the ones that wanted it/needed it, would be much, much happier with much better finances.
    Oh yes, what is the one thing that makes most people of any age bracket more happy.........more money!

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I really liked the live your life and forget your age poster! It's so important to enjoy life at any age anyway. When you get older you realize a lot of things. One thing I realized life is short for all of a sudden I'm going to be 62 and I wondered one day where did the years go anyway. Well here we are beyond 60...and here is a video of a 60 yr. old who break dances!

Bonnie Thomas and Terry Page like this.