Paying The Dues

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Frank Sanoica, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This concept has troubled me forever. Government passes Laws, the breaking of which gives Government the "right" to extract payment via fines: Money. This has never seemed "just" to me. The concept encourages graft from the very top on down to the lowly "Parking Meter Lady".

Government was set up to "pay" it's way via taxation, not extortion.

Am I wrong to think this way? To feel lawbreakers should be made to "pay" their dues for low-level crimes in some other way which might be beneficial to Society instead of Government?

Frank

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I think paying a fine for minor crimes is really a win, win for both. The criminal doesn't have to go to jail and the government gets money rather than having to provide "room & board" for the prisoner.

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's a form of tax.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Agreed. Is it "Without representation"? Always have wondered exactly what that meant.
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Sheldon Scott
    To me, a more equitable and sensible "win-win" would be that non-violent breakers of laws be required to perform services to benefit their society members, such as community services, help at homeless aid shelters, and the like. That could greatly lower (note I said "could") the monetary burden imposed by such services on government itself, perhaps eliminate some of the over-staffing consuming the budget payroll.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A noble thought indeed my friend. But let us examine how the government and moreover the bureaucracy of government travels.

1. The republicans and democrats will both set up a committee in order to examine the problem costing about a million or so dollars.
    2. Another committee from each party would be formed to examine the 1st examination and suggest solutions costing a few more million dollars.
    3. An oversight committee would be formed to make sure that bribes going to each party is within some imaginary boundary.
    4. Once the oversight committee is finished getting their cut of the bribes, they will disband and form the legislative committee in order to decide which crimes get which community service thereby collecting more tax paid salaries and vacations.
    5. A liaison committee will have to be approved by the president which will be the legal authority between the Labor dept, the Unions, NAACP, NSA, USDA, IRS, ASCAP, (in case anyone sings while working) VA, ASPCA, AGRM, Medicare, SSI, HUD, Section 8, ABC, ATF, FDA, and the ever popular Obama Care or Workman's Comp. Division.
    6. Another committee will inevitably be formed which hires efficiency experts in order to oversee the social services networking who's tax paid job is to monitor the individuals who are assigned to each community service job and how much each social worker makes on each transaction in kickbacks.
    7. A new set of forms has to be instated including the IRS 1049-1099-BS 1.0 in order to establish how much in total bribes and kickbacks are actually taxable within governmental parameters. If none is declared then the BS1.1 will have to be developed to insure that all claims that are not really claimed but given as donations to 501C4 institutions that the government will create in order to avoid taxation.

8. There's more but.....................When all is said and done, throw the dude or dudette in jail or fine the back pockets out of them because they won't show up for work anyway

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think it's a form of tax. I think it's a painful reminder that if you break the law, you pay the price. If you have to pay the price often enough, you'll learn obey the law. Hopefully.

I :D at @Bobby Cole 's reply but there is truth in it. And most of it about the politicians is right on the nailhead. In my job, I sometimes had people work as part of their judgement. Some of them were OK but a lot of them were incompetent and not qualified for the assignments. I had to report a few of them to their parole officer.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It originally meant "like it or not, in the name of the king, it's gonna be taxed to the max."

But since then we have come so very far away from that because we are now represented.
    So now in a representative type of government, "if you do not pay your taxes, the representatives of our elected representatives from the IRS will come and take everything you have including your first born male child instead of breaking your legs. After all, they can't have people unable to work so they can't pay more taxes now can they? Which is a sort of oxymoron in that they can put you in jail for not paying them thereby making you unable to pay them when we know it was all a simple mistake and your dog ate that derned 1099 form.

Now, doesn't that make us all feel soooo much better knowing that we, as the good citizens, are soooooo well represented by those we vote for?

Bill Boggs likes this.