Patty Hearst

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Kitty Carmel, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember the kidnapping but with no detail. CNN is running a series and I watched the first two episodes. I know Jeffrey Toobin wrote a book which I'm sure was extensively researched but I don't like his writing style.

I learned many things from the first two episodes on CNN that I didn't know. They are also interviewing Patty Hearst's former fiancé who was there when she was kidnapped and a former SLA member who comes across as just arrogant. No one from the actual Hearst family participated in this special it said.

Do you think she had Stockholm Syndrome? Certainly I am no professional on this but I always thought she did. She was young but not naive. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's possible.

I looked her up on Google and read her husband passed away a few years ago but she seemed to live a rather quiet and stable life once out of jail.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I always thought she was guilty but this was a long time ago, haven't revisited the story in a long time.

Have you ever been to the Hearst Castle?

3. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Chrissy Cross I haven't. Have you. Years ago both my brothers went.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I haven't but my daughter keeps saying we should go once. :)

Her sister in law was there and liked it.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

When I first heard about Patty Hearst and what had happened to her I wasn't really sure if I believed everything that was said either. But I did realize at that time that if I had been put in that situation I would probably have done whatever I had to do to stay alive too.

Later in my marriage of almost 23 years to an abusive spouse I realized how very easy it is to just give in and give up when everyday you are slowly being brainwashed to think the way an abuser wants you to think and act. If you ever get free of this...you no longer trust anyone except those who have proved they are trustworthy in the past.

I'm still not sure if I believe everything that happened to Patty Hearst happened the way it was told...but I do believe this young woman suffered abuse and brain washing that has and will continue to affect the rest of her life.

Tom Galty likes this.
  6. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Thanks for your interesting post @Babs Hunt And so sorry and sad to read of your own experiences.

She was very young, 19. Different than a 40 year old. People of any age however would never know what they would do or how they would react when in such a situation. I guess, only Ms. Hearst herself knows, yet with trauma she may not recall everything or everything as it really happened.

I will be watching the rest of this series on CNN.