Password Safekeeping

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

There is the usual guideline that discourages writing down passwords. There's even a note not to keep that piece of paper (where the password was written) in your wallet so no one can use it in case you lose your wallet. But how about us, seniors, how many times did we forget our password?

There are so many passwords - email, social media, forums, and you can include the pin code of your ATM account. Can you keep track all those letters and numbers in your head? I guess it's about time to change the rules. Write down your password in a piece of paper and keep it in your handbag or wallet. That would spare you from the anguish when you forget your password.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Its a pain, all these numbers and letters to remember - I do write them down and keep them at home, never out and about

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't write mine down, I remember the two main ones and the rest are not that important and I can always reset a password if I've forgotten.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a business online and I do keep my password in a little book alphabetically kept. I keep it safe and always check for it. I don't leave things to memory because I got so much accounts. Like my taxes I do online 2x semi annually for my business...I'm not going to commit it to memory needing it only 2x a year! I keep a little log book. Once in a while I go through it and close out accounts I don't need any longer, so I write in pencil to erase closed accounts. Definitely keep password secret, written down and hidden.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I use the same password for everything -- XX6655password6655XX.

Just kidding. That's not my password. I do have one common password (not the one above) that I had used for years but have, over the past year or two, begun using random characters for things that really matter, and switching the others over as I find time to do so. I have a password keeper for my Mac that remembers my password but, to be on the safe side, I also have them recorded elsewhere, neither online or on my computer.

Chrissy Cross and Tim Burr like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm going to try that password you posted and see if I can sign in as admin. :)

Just kidding.

Ken Anderson likes this.